AT&T Telephone Towers - Harmful Radiation?

• Thread starter limitapproaches0
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about a trip to the mountains near Pittsburgh where the speakers came across two towers for long distance telephone transmission. The towers were located in a deserted and slightly creepy area with a radiation warning on the fence due to high frequency transmission. The question was raised about the potential harm of the towers and if there was any additional information available about them. One person shared their experience of being near a similar tower in the navy and not being concerned about potential harm. The conversation also mentioned that the towers looked similar to a picture provided.
limitapproaches0
so we took a drive up into the mountains about 2 hours from pittsburgh, ligoner area, anyway at the top of the mountain there was 2 towers for long distance telephone transmission and the driveway said at&t so we went down the driveway and drove up to the area where the towers were. the place was deserted and kind of creepy and on the fence there was a radiation warning due to high frequency transmission. is this harmful? or is there anywhere i could find more info on these towers?

Computer science news on Phys.org
limitapproaches0 said:
is this harmful? or is there anywhere i could find more info on these towers?
Did it look anything like THIS? Assuming it was operational (looks like those things are being shut down), its only really harmful if you're there for a long time. I was in the navy and I'd stand next to that sign at my lookout post several times a day for a five months. I haven't yet had a chance to test my fertility, but I'm not worried...

why yes in fact it did but there were 2 towers and those polyhedron looking thingys were bigger

1. What is the source of radiation from AT&T telephone towers?

The source of radiation from AT&T telephone towers is the antennas that transmit and receive radiofrequency signals to and from mobile devices.

2. Is the radiation from AT&T telephone towers harmful?

The radiation from AT&T telephone towers is considered non-ionizing, meaning it does not have enough energy to cause damage to DNA and tissue. However, there is ongoing research to determine the potential long-term effects of exposure to this type of radiation.

3. How is the radiation level of AT&T telephone towers regulated?

The radiation levels of AT&T telephone towers are regulated by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) in the United States. They have set safety standards for exposure to radiofrequency radiation and require companies like AT&T to adhere to these guidelines.

4. What measures does AT&T take to ensure the safety of their telephone towers?

AT&T follows all safety guidelines set by the FCC for their telephone towers. They also perform regular maintenance and testing to ensure that the radiation levels are within acceptable limits. Additionally, they conduct environmental assessments to ensure that their towers are not causing harm to nearby communities.

5. Is there a safe distance to be from an AT&T telephone tower?

The FCC has established a safe distance from telephone towers as 100 feet, which is based on the amount of radiation emitted from the tower. However, it is important to note that the radiation levels are typically significantly lower at ground level and decrease with distance.