Coffee in the Navy: A Survival Guide.

• Thread starter lisab
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coffee
In summary: I forget the word for the place where they roast their coffee.Anyway, I love trying new roasts, but I stuck with my regular roast for the longest time.In summary, Doc Al's recent thread on the effects of coffee on naps got me to thinking about how I like my coffee. I like it with a healthy dose of sugar-free sweetener, cream, and nutmeg. I like it with two scoops of ice cream, honey, and nutmeg, or with vanilla or chocolate ice cream. I like it coffee with a generous portion of nutmeg, and I drink it black or with milk, cream, ice cream, or half and half, or whatever is on hand. I've been

How Do You Take Your Coffee?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ah, sorry, I thought this was the poll for describing one's personality/lifestyle, so I voted for strong, bitter and unaccompanied.

Physics news on Phys.org
WWGD said:
Ah, sorry, I thought this was the poll for describing one's personality/lifestyle, so I voted for strong, bitter and unaccompanied.
In that case I would have voted, "It's so complicated, baristas hate you."

From reading the survey choices, the list is faulty. Something is wrong if black coffee is bitter. Good coffee brewed plain with nothing else added should hardly be bitter, and should need absolutely no cream or sugar.

One could add 'bottom of the pot, especially after 4 hours, or at the end of the day' to the list of options.

Likes collinsmark
A real man should drink his coffee bare and strong always. What is happening to society?

Nikitin said:
A real man should drink his coffee bare and strong always. What is happening to society?
We are becoming unreal men.

You should turn away from the feminist plane and align yourself back to the real man axis before it is too late.

Nikitin said:
align yourself back to the real man axis before it is too late.
Insufficient argument.

How do I take my coffee?

Down me gullet and sharpish, mate.

Aaarrgh.

I prefer a strong bitter one (sugarless). Because I am fat (110Kg of weight and 1.77m tall) and have a diabetes.

I like my coffee how I like my women... quiet.

j/k :D

I prefer coffee to be somewhere where I am not.

Strong coffee is the best coffee. I hope my Keuring holds out. :)

How you find or like your coffee depends on what quality of beans and what level of roast.

Irish Cream in a smooth, low-acid blend

Recently changed from synthetic creamer to pure blackness in my cup. And I like tea A LOT...all day.

I cannot drink coffee for medical reasons so I try to rationalize that tea is just as good.. But baaah, I seriously miss coffee! Tea is just so bland, so uninteresting.

I'm not sure what medical condition would prevent you from drinking coffee, but I'd personally rather be fighting the Germans in Stalingrad than forego a good cup of joe. That's just me, though.

DiracPool said:
I'm not sure what medical condition would prevent you from drinking coffee, but I'd personally rather be fighting the Germans in Stalingrad than forego a good cup of joe. That's just me, though.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee_substitute
Or other similar bad add-ins in the ready made coffee for competitive or commercial purposes. Pure black coffee is harmless to us all. Only drinking it too much without soon taking some extra fresh water to wash it away may darken one's lips and teeth overtime. Too much coffee also causes constipation, acne, heartburn, sleep derivation etc.
I remember taking some lemonade coffee in Japan (they add some lemon juice into the coffee) which tasted really disgusting.

DiracPool said:
Actually, I've found that coffee is a natural mild laxative.:D
Yeah, Japanese lemon coffee.

I didn't vote because none of the choices are applicable. Since I'm too tired right now to read everyone's posts, I might be duplicating some answers (but I doubt it).
At the coffee shop (not Starbucks; their crap would peel the chrome off of a Buick, and I'm not even all that fond of Tim's) I get the mild house special straight up. At home, I use 3 rounded tablespoons of Nabob or Folgers in my 12-cup machine. Again, no additives.
About 30 years ago, during my bar tending years, I invented a "special coffee" to fit in with our Irish, Cowboy, Spanish, Monte Christo, etc. versions. I never gave it a name, but it remains my favourite after-dinner dessert drink. WARNING: Diabetics and people with nut allergies should stay at arm's length. To start with, most bartenders used to spin the rim of the snifter in the ice well, to dampen it for sugar-coating. I think that it's really stupid, because frequently one will break and you then have to scoop out and replace all of the ice. (Now, they have little saturated sponge pads for that.) Instead, I originally slit a cherry and ran it around the rim, since it was going to be part of the drink anyhow and was stickier than water. Later, I used a lemon wedge instead, because it gave a nice contrast to the sugar without messing up the flavour of the drink. Anyhow, the next step is to spin the rim of the glass in a bowl of granulated sugar until it's coated to about 1mm thickness on each surface and maybe 1/4"—3/8" along from the top. (Those familiar with bar coffees please bear with me; this is for people who aren't.)
Where the multiple varieties differ is in the alcoholic ingredients (and hence flavour). My version uses 1 1/2 oz of Swiss Chocolate Almond liqueur and 3/4 oz of Amaretto (almond flavour), then coffee up to about 1 1/2" from the top. Then it is filled with whipped cream piled up like a Dairy Queen cone above the rim. Lastly, I dribble 1/2 oz of Frangelico liqueur (hazelnut flavour) over the whipped cream, plop a cherry on top and install the obligatory napkin "diaper" to keep the customer's hands from getting sticky.

Last edited:
Danger,
That sounds sinful and so delicious :) will be trying it as soon as possible. If I serve it to someone I'll call it the "Danger Zone" in respect to you.
OK ?

Likes Danger
RonL said:
Danger,
That sounds sinful and so delicious :) will be trying it as soon as possible. If I serve it to someone I'll call it the "Danger Zone" in respect to you.
OK ?
Oh, yeah! That will also fit in nicely with the fact that although my cartoons that I've posted on PF were labeled as "The 5th Dimentia" series, I decided almost a year back to re-label them (and the hundred or so others, and whatever more I might come up with) as the "Danger Zone" brand.
Let's get everything under one banner, start a cult, and conquer the world! :oops:
Actually, with all seriousness aside, I've given consideration to starting a cult. There are so many brain-dead people with disposable incomes out there that I honestly think that I could give them a better life in a communal setting than they can accomplish on their own. (Unlike other cult leaders, I would allow them to do whatever they want to as long as nobody gets hurt and they return at least as much as they gain. Eventually, we would get around to municipal elections for positions lower than my own and those of my chosen circle.)

Danger said:
Oh, yeah! That will also fit in nicely with the fact that although my cartoons that I've posted on PF were labeled as "The 5th Dimentia" series, I decided almost a year back to re-label them (and the hundred or so others, and whatever more I might come up with) as the "Danger Zone" brand.
Let's get everything under one banner, start a cult, and conquer the world! :oops:
Actually, with all seriousness aside, I've given consideration to starting a cult. There are so many brain-dead people with disposable incomes out there that I honestly think that I could give them a better life in a communal setting than they can accomplish on their own. (Unlike other cult leaders, I would allow them to do whatever they want to as long as nobody gets hurt and they return at least as much as they gain. Eventually, we would get around to municipal elections for positions lower than my own and those of my chosen circle.)

That reads a little like "PF 2 the Horror Movie" :eek:

There are times I add some coke into my sugarless black coffee, especially when I can't stand its bitterness anymore. That means, I actually can't always take strong bitter coffee. I don't know about you, but I'd love to enjoy all assorted tastes (sour, bitter, sweet, salty, etc) while I'm still young and alive. :D

RonL said:
That reads a little like "PF 2 the Horror Movie" :eek:
...as intended... :D

Medicol, I see nothing wrong with weird combinations. A few times, I've used a 50/50 mix of hot black coffee and beer. It actually tastes a bit like beef broth.

At the risk of derailing the thread, I now feel the urge to pass along another delicious desert drink that doesn't involve coffee but is close. Start with an individual-size pot of hot tea (real tea, such as Red Rose or Lipton's, or any other brand of an English Breakfast or likewise; not any of that weedeater crap like herbal blends). This presentation is for bartender purposes. At home, make however much you want in your usual pot and just add the booze. Anyhow, you then pour 3/4—1 1/2 oz each of Amaretto and Grand Marnier into a brandy snifter and balance it (sideways) on the open teapot for service. The customer then pours the tea into the snifter at the table. It's called Blueberry Tea, and that's pretty much what it tastes like.

Lipton is real tea?

No, it is odorless dark tea :D. Maybe it's the hot water I use with it that always creates a brown "concoction".

Monique said:
Lipton is real tea?
Actually, I'm not sure. I use Red Rose. (Remember the Queen in the ads... "Only in Canada, eh... pity...)

Medicol said:
No, it is odorless dark tea :D. Maybe it's the hot water I use with it that always creates a brown "concoction".
According to Dutch research the Lipton tea contains sugar granules coated with bubblegum flavor, which is why II'm skeptic (source: http://keuringsdienstvanwaarde.kro.nl/seizoenen/2014/afleveringen/23-01-2014 rogram).

Last edited by a moderator:
The Lady Earl Grey has become a household tea for me, but when we've been out drinking, my wife and I usually share a Starbucks Cold Brew the next morning.

Hot Milk+Coffee+Cream = Thick Coffee (No Sugar)
Two pages of Novel(Neuromancer)
:smile::smile: