Building a Robot: Tips and Tricks for Beginners

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Robot
In summary, the conversation revolved around building robots and the resources available for beginners. The participants discussed the difficulty of programming and the cost associated with building robots. They also shared their experiences with building simple robots and recommended websites, such as Maplins and roboticsindia.com, for more information. One person mentioned ordering a kit for building a robot arm and asked for opinions on it.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Has anyone built one? not a humanoid, but some thing that can do a few
tricks, i want to have a go, but the programming side worries me and i have
limited cash, some kits use electronics based on the stamp chip others the
pic, which is the easiest, i want to design my own mechanics using servo
motors for motion, i can build electronic circuits from scratch if needed.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Go to roboticsindia.com. Quite a few people build robots there. I'm sure there are other sites too.

I've only played around with basic robotics. When I was a kid I took motors and made toy robots that rolled along, would stop and swing their arms, but they really couldn't do anything. Always wanted to make one though. Good luck with your project.

sid_galt said:
Go to roboticsindia.com. Quite a few people build robots there. I'm sure there are other sites too.

Thanks Sid, that is a great site with loads of info, just what i was looking for.

i made a robot arm for the science fair once. it was made of a desk lamp and some pulleys. the hand was made of some strange test tube holding device with fiber optics in the clamps that held the tubes. i picked up the pieces at a craft/part shop for pretty cheap

I have ordered this kit for a start, it is expandable with lots of extras
http://www.totalrobots.com/stedeman_files/stedeman.htm

What do you guys think.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Has anyone successfully built a robot?

Yes, there have been many successful robot builds throughout history. From simple robots that perform basic functions to highly advanced robots that can mimic human movement and behavior, there have been numerous successful robot projects.

2. What is the purpose of building a robot?

The purpose of building a robot can vary depending on the specific project and goals. Some robots are built for research and scientific purposes, while others are designed for practical tasks such as manufacturing or assisting with daily tasks. Some robots are also built for entertainment or educational purposes.

3. How long does it take to build a robot?

The time it takes to build a robot can vary greatly depending on the complexity of the project and the resources available. Some simple robots can be built in a matter of hours, while more advanced robots may take months or even years to complete.

4. What materials are typically used to build a robot?

The materials used to build a robot can vary depending on the type of robot and its intended purpose. Common materials include metal, plastic, and electronics components such as motors and sensors. Some robots may also incorporate advanced materials such as carbon fiber or artificial muscles.

5. Can anyone build a robot or do you need specialized skills?

Building a robot typically requires specialized skills and knowledge in areas such as programming, engineering, and electronics. While anyone can learn these skills, it may take time and resources to become proficient enough to successfully build a robot. It is also helpful to have a team with a diverse skill set when building a robot.