Perturbation theory using Cohen-Tannoudji

In summary, The conversation is discussing stationary perturbation theory and the problem of splitting the Hamiltonian into a known part and a perturbation. The goal is to solve for the problem of H(λ)|Ψ(λ)⟩=E(λ)Ψ(λ)⟩ by expanding in a λ series. The conversation also touches on the idea of degeneracy and how it affects the perturbation. The book may be slightly misleading as it does not directly project onto the entire basis, but instead chooses to find the correct eigenvector to perturb.
cire
I'm reading the Cohen-Tannoudji book and I found somthing I don't understand
in stationary perturbation theory.
the problem the Hamiltonian is split in the known part an the perturbation:
[tex]
H=H_{o}+\lambda \hat{W}
[/tex]
[tex]
H_{o}|\varphi_{p}^{i}\rangle=E_{p}^{o}|\varphi_{p}^{i}\rangle
[/tex] (1)
and we want to solve the problem:
[tex]
H(\lambda)|\Psi(\lambda)\rangle=E(\lambda)\Psi(\lambda)\rangle[/tex] (2)
Expanding in [tex]\lambda[/tex] series equation (2) I get after equating each term:
[tex]
zeroth: (H_{o}-E_{o})|0\rangle=0
[/tex] (3)
[tex]
first: (H_{o}-E_{o})|1\rangle+(\hat{W}-E_{1})|0\rangle=0
[/tex] (4)
[tex]
second: (H_{o}-E_{o})|3\rangle+(\hat{W}-E_{1})|2\rangle
E_{2}|1\rangle-E_{3}|0\rangle=0
[/tex] (5)

from normalizing the wave fuction order by order I get:
[tex]
zeroth: \langle0|0\rangle=1
[/tex] (6)
[tex]
first: \langle0|1\rangle= \langle1|0\rangle=0
[/tex] (7)
[tex]
second: \langle0|2\rangle=
\langle2|0\rangle=-\frac{1}{2}\langle1|1\rangle
[/tex] (8)

Solution for the non-degenerated level[tex]
H_{o}|\varphi_{n}^{o}\rangle=E_{n}^{o}|\varphi_{n}^{o}\rangle
[/tex]
zeroth order:
[tex]
E_{o}=E_{n}^{o}
[/tex]
[tex]
|0\rangle=|\varphi_{n}\rangle
[/tex]
first order projecting (4) onto the vector [tex]|\varphi_{n}\rangle[/tex]
[tex]
E_{n}(\lambda)=E_{n}^{o}+\langle\varphi_{n}|W|\varphi_{n}\rangle
[/tex]
now this is the part that I don't understand:
when finding the eigenvector |1> the project equation (4) onto [tex]|\varphi_{p}^{i}\rangle[/tex] why the putting the supscript i if it is non-degenerated? :confused:
[tex]|\Psi_{n}(\lambda)\rangle=|\varphi_{n}\rangle+\sum_{p\neq
n}\sum_{i}\frac{\langle\varphi_{p}^{i}|W|\varphi_{n}\rangle}{E_{n}^{o}-E_{p}^{o}}|\varphi_{p}^{i}\rangle[/tex]
see the book page 1101

Physics news on Phys.org
The eigenvalues are not necessarily degenerate. Read the line after equation (B-6) on page 1101.

Regards,
George

the book is talking about the non-degenerated case
[tex]H_{o}|\varphi_{n}\rangle=E_{n}^{o}|\varphi_{n} \rangle[/tex]
why projecting in the degenerate subspace [tex]\{|\varphi_{p}^{i} \rangle\}[/tex]eq B-6 ?
degenerace refers to the new perturbed energy? :confused: :confused:

The idea is to expand the first-order eigenvector correction |1> in terms of a complete set of states that consists of unperturbed energy eigenvectors, i.e., to arrive at equation (B-10). Since the only eigenvalue that is known to be non-degenerate is [itex]E_{0}^{n}[/itex], the index [itex]i[/itex] has to used in the labelling of this complete set of states.

Regards,
George

I got it, thanks but the book is misleading why not to project directly in the entire basis (degenerated in general) and get a matrix in B-5 and B-10 and B-11 all make sense, then the non-degenare case the matrix shrink to one element ...
:biggrin:

cire said:
I got it, thanks but the book is misleading why not to project directly in the entire basis (degenerated in general) and get a matrix in B-5 and B-10 and B-11 all make sense, then the non-degenare case the matrix shrink to one element ...
:biggrin:

Of course the non-degenerate case is a special case of the degenerate case. But the degenerate case is slightly more subtle: you cannot just take ANY eigenvector of the unperturbed system and "perturbe it": the perturbation could lift the degeneracy (partly or entirely). So you first have to find out WHICH eigenvector you can perturbe in the first place (in fact, the original, say, 5-dimensional, set of eigenvectors with identical E0 will split in, say, a 2 dimensional set with one Ea, and 3 non-degenerate vectors with Eb, Ec and Ed respectively in first order ; the Ea can still potentially split at higher order).

What is perturbation theory using Cohen-Tannoudji?

Perturbation theory using Cohen-Tannoudji is a mathematical method used in quantum mechanics to solve problems that involve small deviations or disturbances from a known solution. It is named after French physicists Claude Cohen-Tannoudji and Alfred Kastler.

How does perturbation theory using Cohen-Tannoudji work?

Perturbation theory using Cohen-Tannoudji involves breaking down a problem into a known unperturbed system and a small perturbation. The perturbed system is then solved by treating the perturbation as a small correction to the known solution. This method is based on the assumption that the perturbation is small enough to be treated as a perturbation rather than a fundamental change to the system.

What are the applications of perturbation theory using Cohen-Tannoudji?

Perturbation theory using Cohen-Tannoudji has many applications in quantum mechanics, including calculating energy levels and transition probabilities in atoms and molecules, analyzing scattering processes, and understanding the behavior of quantum systems under external fields. It is also used in other fields such as solid-state physics and nuclear physics.

What are the limitations of perturbation theory using Cohen-Tannoudji?

One limitation of perturbation theory using Cohen-Tannoudji is that it only works for small perturbations. If the perturbation is too large, the method may fail to accurately predict the behavior of the system. Additionally, it is not applicable to systems with degenerate energy levels.

Are there any alternative methods to perturbation theory using Cohen-Tannoudji?

Yes, there are alternative methods to perturbation theory using Cohen-Tannoudji, such as variational methods and numerical methods. These methods may be more accurate for certain systems or perturbations, but they also have their own limitations. Perturbation theory using Cohen-Tannoudji remains a widely used and important method in quantum mechanics.