Vectors and Coordinate Systems

In summary, the conversation is about a first year university student struggling to understand vectors and the coordinate system. The student has tried reading the book but is still confused by concepts such as magnitude, theta, sigma, and the oval with the vertical line. The student is seeking help with understanding the components and is directed to two online tutorials as well as encouraged to attempt problems from the book and seek specific help with any that are challenging.
mstar888
Hi, I'm a first year university student and I don't understand vectors and the coordinate system. I tried reading the book, but it doesn't make sense to me like the magnitude of theta and sigma or the oval with the vertical line through it. If someone could help me with the concept of it and the components, that would be great, thanks. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
This tutorial might help: http://www.physics.uoguelph.ca/tutorials/vectors/vectors.html
Or this one: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/vect.html#veccon

But you'll get more specific help by attempting to do some problems from your book. Post the problems that stump you, along with your attempted solutions, and then you'll get the exact help you need.

1. What is a vector?

A vector is a mathematical representation of a quantity that has both magnitude and direction. It is often represented by an arrow, with the length of the arrow indicating the magnitude and the direction of the arrow indicating the direction.

2. What are some common types of coordinate systems?

Some common types of coordinate systems include Cartesian coordinates, polar coordinates, and spherical coordinates. Cartesian coordinates use a set of perpendicular axes to locate points in a plane or space. Polar coordinates use a distance and angle from a reference point to locate points in a plane. Spherical coordinates use a radius, polar angle, and azimuthal angle to locate points in three-dimensional space.

3. How do you convert between different coordinate systems?

To convert between different coordinate systems, you can use mathematical formulas or equations specific to the type of coordinate system you are working with. For example, to convert from Cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates, you can use the equations x = r cosθ and y = r sinθ, where r is the distance from the origin and θ is the angle from the positive x-axis.

4. What is the difference between a scalar and a vector quantity?

A scalar quantity is a physical quantity that only has magnitude, such as mass or temperature. A vector quantity, on the other hand, has both magnitude and direction, such as velocity or force. Scalars can be represented by a single number, while vectors require both a magnitude and a direction to be fully described.

5. What are some real-world applications of vectors and coordinate systems?

Vectors and coordinate systems have numerous real-world applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and navigation. For example, vectors are used to represent and analyze forces in physics, while coordinate systems are used to map out locations on a map or track the movement of objects in space. They are also used in computer graphics and animation to create three-dimensional images and animations.