Anyone have the TI-Nspire CX CAS?

• Calculators
  • Thread starter QuarkCharmer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cas Nspire
In summary, the conversation is about the TI-Nspire CX CAS calculator. The first speaker is concerned about the battery life of the new calculator and mentions that TI claims it can last 2 weeks between charges. They also ask for others' opinions and specifically want to know if it is as intuitive and fast as the TI-89 titanium. Another person responds with a positive review, mentioning that the battery is not an issue and that the calculator has a brilliant screen and is fast, especially when overclocked. They also mention the added CAS function and the ability to run games on the calculator. The conversation ends with the person offering to answer any further questions and provide screenshots.
QuarkCharmer
Anyone have the new TI calculator? My 89 is working perfectly, but it's so freaking slow in graphing the simplest surfaces. My only concern is the battery life. TI claims this new color doo-dad will last 2 weeks between charges. Provided that is true, that would mean that I would probably have to charge it every weekend to be safe, which I can live with.

Does anyone have one? What do you think of it? I'm specifically interested in knowing if it's as intuitive as the TI-89 titanium, works similarly, processes quicker, and so on. I also have no idea what the difference is between the CX and the CX-CAS. Obviously the CAS one can use solve() and other algebra system functions, but that's it? There are 2 CX-CAS models on amazon with different prices!?

TI-NspireCX_CAS_P.jpg

Computer science news on Phys.org
Reviving an older thread here - hope that is okay!

I have had my Nspire CX CAS for around 6 months now, and it's absolutely fantastic!

The battery is not an issue, and with light usage I have managed to get around 3 weeks out of it, though recently I have started using it an awful lot, so I am down to charging every weekend - not a problem though!

The screen is just brilliant, and the colours really help when graphing many functions on one page, as it automatically colour codes them. Speed wise it is really good too, and graphs appear within about a second of hitting enter. However, I have recently jailbroken mine with Ndless and overclocked the ARM processor and now she really flies! The whole system has been completely transformed, even just for simple things like opening the Documents folder, which used to take 2-3s but is now instant, but where it really comes into play is in graphing, especially in 3D, where graphs appear instantly and there is little to no lag when manipulating 2D graphs or rotating 3D ones.

I have never tried an 89ti so I cannot compare but this thing really is fast - even if you keep it stock. I loaned a school 83plus for a while and hated it. It was okay but graphing took so, so long and I struggled a little with the low-res screen. One of the major improvements on the CX CAS is the whole 'Documents' system, which makes it really easy to save and retrieve data.

The CX and CX CAS are only really separated by the addition of the CAS function, but in my opinion it is definitely worth the extra - it is unbelievably powerful and can solve just about anything in fractions of seconds!

Oh, and if you are still not sold - I have now got a Gameboy Advance emulator on mine running Mariokart, Pinball, Tetris, James Bond, etc.!

Hope this helps and if you have any more questions or would like images/screenshots just ask!

Kind Regards
James

What is the TI-Nspire CX CAS?

The TI-Nspire CX CAS is a handheld graphing calculator manufactured by Texas Instruments. It is designed for use in mathematics, science, and engineering courses.

What are the main features of the TI-Nspire CX CAS?

The TI-Nspire CX CAS has a full-color, backlit display, a rechargeable battery, and a touchpad for easy navigation. It also has a built-in computer algebra system (CAS) and can perform graphing, geometry, statistics, and data analysis functions.

How does the TI-Nspire CX CAS differ from other graphing calculators?

The TI-Nspire CX CAS is unique in that it has a color display, a touchpad, and a built-in CAS. It also has the ability to create and manipulate interactive graphs and geometric constructions, making it a versatile tool for visualizing mathematical concepts.

Can the TI-Nspire CX CAS be used on standardized tests?

The TI-Nspire CX CAS is not allowed on all standardized tests, so it is important to check the specific rules and regulations for the test you will be taking. Some tests may allow the calculator with certain features disabled, while others may not allow it at all.

What is the price of the TI-Nspire CX CAS?

The price of the TI-Nspire CX CAS may vary depending on where you purchase it, but it is typically around $150-$200. It is also available for rent or lease through some schools and universities.