Vaccine Developers: Exploring the Minds Behind Life-Saving Inoculations

• Thread starter Jin S Zhang
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vaccines
In summary, vaccine development proceeds through discovery, process engineering, toxicology and animal studies to human Phase I, II, and III trials. The process can take more than 10 years, depending on the disease. The human trials focus initially on safety, involving small groups of people. Then progress to moderate-sized "target" populations to determine both safety and the stimulation of immune response. Finally, large target populations are sought to establish efficacy.
Jin S Zhang
Who develops vaccine?

Biology news on Phys.org

Scientists.

Which vaccine?

farful said:
Scientists.
Of course I know. WHat I want to know is that what kind of medical scientists develop vaccine. Microbiologists or Biochemists or Pharmacologists ?

Moonbear said:
Which vaccine?

Any kind of vaccine.

I tends to be microbiologist and immunologist that lay the first stones for vaccine developments. They are later helped by MDs and people working in pharmaceutical companies.

Jin S Zhang said:
Who develops vaccine?

I wish to add a little more in-depth knowledge to this discussion.

The World Health Organization has information on "Development of new vaccines". Here are two snippets from this website located on http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs289/en/

Vaccine development proceeds through discovery, process engineering, toxicology and animal studies to human Phase I, II, and III trials. The process can take more than 10 years, depending on the disease. The human trials focus initially on safety, involving small groups of people (I); then progress to moderate-sized "target" populations (persons close to the age and other characteristics for whom the vaccine is intended) to determine both safety and the stimulation of immune response (II); and finally to large target populations to establish whether a vaccine actually prevents a disease as intended (efficacy) (III).
http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs289/en/

and

WHO Initiative for Vaccine Research (IVR)
The WHO Initiative for Vaccine Research was established in 2001 to streamline the various vaccine research and development projects being carried out by different departments of WHO (including the Special Programme for Research and Training in Tropical Diseases: TDR) and UNAIDS. IVR is an international team of scientists, managers, and technical experts whose task is to facilitate the development of vaccines against infectious diseases of major public health importance, to improve existing immunization technologies, and to ensure that these advances are made available to the people who need them the most. IVR will achieve these objectives using a three-pronged approach:

1. management of knowledge and provision of guidance and advocacy through effective partnerships to accelerate innovation for new and improved vaccines and technologies;

2. support to research and product development for WHO priority new vaccines and technologies; and

3. conduct of appropriate implementation research and development of tools to support evidence-based recommendations, policies and strategies for optimal use of vaccines and technologies.
:)

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the role of developers in creating vaccines?

Developers of vaccines are responsible for researching, designing, and testing new vaccines to prevent the spread of diseases. They work closely with scientists, clinicians, and regulatory agencies to ensure the safety and effectiveness of the vaccines.

What qualifications do developers of vaccines have?

Developers of vaccines typically have a background in microbiology, immunology, or related fields. They may hold advanced degrees such as a PhD or MD, and often have extensive experience in research and development in the field of vaccines.

How long does it take to develop a new vaccine?

The timeline for developing a new vaccine can vary greatly, but it typically takes several years. This process involves multiple stages of research, testing, and clinical trials to ensure the safety and effectiveness of the vaccine before it can be approved for use.

What are the challenges faced by developers in creating vaccines?

Developing vaccines can be a complex and challenging process. Developers must navigate regulatory requirements, secure funding, and conduct extensive research and testing. They also face challenges such as finding suitable animal models and addressing potential side effects.

How do developers ensure the safety of vaccines?

Developers of vaccines follow strict guidelines and regulations set by regulatory agencies to ensure the safety and effectiveness of vaccines. This includes conducting rigorous testing and clinical trials and continuously monitoring the vaccine for any potential adverse effects.