Finding a Solution for a System of Equations with Trigonometric Functions

In summary, the problem involves finding a value for k that satisfies two equations for the point (x, y) = (x_0, y_0). The equations have been manipulated to get two expressions for k, but the solution for theta is still unknown. Iteration is suggested as a potential method for finding a solution.
usn7564

Homework Statement

It's a longer problem but all that's left is:

[tex]y = k^2 \frac{1-cos(\theta)}{2}[/tex]
[tex]x = k^2 \frac{\theta - sin(\theta)}{2}[/tex]

I want to find a k that solves the equations for the point [tex](x, y) = (x_0, y_0)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I manipulated them to get two expressions for k, putting them = each other and simplifying I get

[tex]2(\theta-sin(\theta)) = 1 - cos(\theta)[/tex]
And now I'm completely stuck, how on Earth do I go about finding what theta is?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can always iterate, picking a trial solution value for theta: remember to use radians.

Yeah, that's an option of course. I wonder if that's what the book did, would mean that theta is some relatively nice number I could just find by brute forcing it.
Will give it a go tomorrow, calling it a day for now.

What is a system of equations?

A system of equations is a set of two or more equations that have the same variables. The goal is to find the values of the variables that make all of the equations true.

What are the different methods for solving a system of equations?

The most common methods for solving a system of equations are substitution, elimination, and graphing. Substitution involves solving for one variable in one equation and plugging that value into the other equation. Elimination involves adding or subtracting the equations to eliminate one variable. Graphing involves graphing both equations on the same coordinate plane and finding the point where they intersect.

How do I know if a system of equations has a solution?

A system of equations has a solution if the values of the variables satisfy all of the equations. This can be determined by graphing the equations and seeing if they intersect at a single point, or by solving the equations and checking if the values make all of the equations true.

Can a system of equations have more than one solution?

Yes, a system of equations can have zero, one, or infinitely many solutions. It all depends on the relationships between the equations and the values of the variables.

What real-life problems can be solved using systems of equations?

Systems of equations can be used to solve a variety of real-life problems, such as calculating the cost of items with different prices and discounts, determining the optimal mix of ingredients in a recipe, and finding the intersection point of two moving objects.