A problem in hybridization

by Ammar Qasim
Tags: hybridization
Borek
Aug18-13, 01:57 PM
Admin
P: 22,708
How do you determine hybridization in general?
Ammar Qasim
Aug18-13, 02:57 PM
P: 7
If the atom have one bond with another, the hybridization type is SP3. If it's double-bonded, the hybridization type is SP2. If it's triple-bonded with another one, the hybridization type is SP.
Can I use this in less general cases?

Borek
Aug18-13, 03:04 PM
Admin
P: 22,708

A problem in hybridization

Thats true only for carbon, it is not a general approach. Many ways to skin that cat, see for example http://chemed.chem.purdue.edu/genche...h8/hybrid.html
ZacharyM
Aug18-13, 07:28 PM
P: 4
I find that the simplest approach to determine hybridization is just to count the number of regions containing electrons. To clarify what I mean, a single bond, a lone pair, a double bond, a triple bond etc would each count as one. It helps to draw lewis structures of each compound, that way you can make sure you get the right number of lone pairs.

After you know the number of regions containing electrons, you know the hybridization! Just use the table below.

2 regions = sp
3 regions = sp2
4 regions = sp3
Ammar Qasim
Aug22-13, 01:37 PM
Quote Quote by Borek View Post
Thats true only for carbon, it is not a general approach. Many ways to skin that cat, see for example http://chemed.chem.purdue.edu/genche...h8/hybrid.html
Quote Quote by ZacharyM View Post
I find that the simplest approach to determine hybridization is just to count the number of regions containing electrons. To clarify what I mean, a single bond, a lone pair, a double bond, a triple bond etc would each count as one. It helps to draw lewis structures of each compound, that way you can make sure you get the right number of lone pairs.

After you know the number of regions containing electrons, you know the hybridization! Just use the table below.

2 regions = sp
3 regions = sp2
4 regions = sp3
Thanks all, that was so useful. obviously letter B is the right answer
DrDu
Aug22-13, 02:28 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 3,375
Why not also E?
Is BeCl2 in the gas phase or solid?
Does neutral ClO4 really exist?
I wonder who poses these brain dead exercises?
Ammar Qasim
Aug22-13, 09:17 PM
Quote Quote by DrDu View Post
Why not also E?
Is BeCl2 in the gas phase or solid?
Does neutral ClO4 really exist?
I wonder who poses these brain dead exercises?
In E. hybridization type is sp3 in NH3 & it is sp2 in SO2 so it is wrong
If BeCl2 is gas or solid, I don't think there would be a difference in the answer
ClO4, I think it is so hard for such a molecule to be found
DrDu
Aug23-13, 01:25 AM
Sci Advisor
You can argue that in SO2 S is also sp3 hybridized and that the somewhat larger bond angle is due to electrostatic repulslion of the oxygens. So you can equally well describe it with sp2 or sp3.
In the case of BeCl2, which is a solid at room temperature, Be is coordinated by 4 Cl atoms, so that a sp3 hybridization is also most natural.
epsaliba
Aug24-13, 10:53 AM
P: 15
Step 1: Count the number of bonding regions on the atom in question plus the number of unshared pairs of electrons.

Step 2: Beginning with the s orbital and working your way up, keep adding orbitals to the hybridization until the superscripts add to the number of bonding regions.

Ex. for methane, carbon has 4 bonding areas. Add the s orbital which gives you 1, and then all three p orbitals for 3, so you have sp3 hybridization.

Ex.2 For ammonia, you have 3 bonding areas, plus an unshared pair on the Nitrogen, so again, it is sp3.

Ex.3 For PCl5, the phosphorous has 5 bonding areas of electrons and 0 unshared pairs, so you add in the s orbital, 3 p orbitals, and 1 of the d orbitals for sp3d orbital.
epsaliba
Aug24-13, 11:23 AM
Quote Quote by Ammar Qasim View Post
If the atom have one bond with another, the hybridization type is SP3. If it's double-bonded, the hybridization type is SP2. If it's triple-bonded with another one, the hybridization type is SP.
Can I use this in less general cases?
For carbon you can use this as a general rule. You can also use it for Nitrogen if you consider its unshared pair a bond.
DrDu
Aug24-13, 01:19 PM
Sci Advisor
These rules are more a variant of VSEPR theory.
Quote Quote by epsaliba View Post
Ex.3 For PCl5, the phosphorous has 5 bonding areas of electrons and 0 unshared pairs, so you add in the s orbital, 3 p orbitals, and 1 of the d orbitals for sp3d orbital.
Involution of d orbitals in main group elements has been disprooven since at least 50 years ago!
epsaliba
Aug24-13, 02:05 PM
Quote Quote by DrDu View Post
These rules are more a variant of VSEPR theory.

Involution of d orbitals in main group elements has been disprooven since at least 50 years ago!
Hmm thanks! You seem to be correct according to this article I found (I am not sure you will be able to see it without a subscription):

http://ac.els-cdn.com/S0166128002005...6cce9b15e773fe

Register to reply