Equivalent definitions of convergence

In summary, the two definitions of convergence (of a sequence xn) are equivalent as shown by both D1 implying D2 and D2 implying D1. The concept of convergence is that as n approaches infinity, x_n gets closer to a particular value x. This is formally stated by choosing a small number epsilon and showing that for n greater than a certain cutoff point (M or K), |x_n - x| is less than epsilon. The difference between using strict inequality or not is negligible. While this may not be the best problem for a student, it is important to understand the concept of convergence and how it is defined.
stripes

Homework Statement

[itex]\mathbf{D1:}\forall\varepsilon>0,\exists K\epsilon\mathbb{N},\forall n\epsilon\mathbb{N},n\geq K\Longrightarrow|x_{n}-x|<\varepsilon[/itex]

[itex]\mathbf{D2:}\forall\rho>0,\exists M\epsilon\mathbb{N},\forall n\epsilon\mathbb{N},n>M\Longrightarrow|x_{n}-x|\leq\rho[/itex]

Show these two definitions of convergence (of a sequence xn) are equivalent by showing both D1 implies D2, and D2 implies D1.

Homework Equations

--

The Attempt at a Solution

To show D1 ==> D2, i just took M = K - 1, where K was from D1. But it didn't seem to get me anywhere since i can show

[itex]n>M\Longrightarrow|x_{n}-x|< \rho[/itex],

but this does not encompass the possibility of ≤ ρ. So basically i have no idea how to do this.

Similarly, i need something to get me started on D2 ==> D1. How do I go about this?

I'm sure I'm overthinking it as I've done much more complicated proofs before, and I've done all other questions on this assignment without help. I just honestly don't know how to do this one. Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
stripes said:

Homework Statement

[itex]\mathbf{D1:}\forall\varepsilon>0,\exists K\epsilon\mathbb{N},\forall n\epsilon\mathbb{N},n\geq K\Longrightarrow|x_{n}-x|<\varepsilon[/itex]

[itex]\mathbf{D2:}\forall\rho>0,\exists M\epsilon\mathbb{N},\forall n\epsilon\mathbb{N},n>M\Longrightarrow|x_{n}-x|\leq\rho[/itex]

Show these two definitions of convergence (of a sequence xn) are equivalent by showing both D1 implies D2, and D2 implies D1.

Homework Equations

--

The Attempt at a Solution

To show D1 ==> D2, i just took M = K - 1, where K was from D1. But it didn't seem to get me anywhere since i can show

[itex]n>M\Longrightarrow|x_{n}-x|< \rho[/itex],

but this does not encompass the possibility of ≤ ρ. So basically i have no idea how to do this.

Similarly, i need something to get me started on D2 ==> D1. How do I go about this?

I'm sure I'm overthinking it as I've done much more complicated proofs before, and I've done all other questions on this assignment without help. I just honestly don't know how to do this one. Thanks in advance!
If ##\lvert x_n - x \rvert \le \rho##, then surely ##\lvert x_n - x \rvert < \rho## is satisfied, right?

That information is helpful to show D2 ==> D1 right?

Last edited:
These are definitions of convergence as [tex]n \rightarrow \infty[/tex] of the sequence [tex]x_n[/tex] to a particular value x. The concept is that the bigger n gets, the closer [tex]x_n[/tex] gets to x.

Now to state it formally we have to choose an [tex]\epsilon,[/tex] which supposedly is a small number like 1/n or [tex]1/n^2[/tex] and show that if n is big enough

(1)... [tex]|x - x_n| < \epsilon[/tex].

When we say n is big enough we mean that the inequality (1) is true for n and every higher integer -- n+1, n+2,... etc. In other words, once we pick the [tex]\epsilon[/tex] there is some point from M on where the inequality holds.

Of course, we said any [tex] \epsilon [/tex] so if you make it smaller you'll need a bigger M (or K or whatever). The important thing is that once you pick the [tex]\epsilon[/tex] you can always find some M that works.

Note we said there is some point M, not that M is necessarily the smallest cutoff that will work. If you're not sure M is adequately large, you can always pick a bigger one. So the difference between saying there is an M such that [tex] n \ge M[/tex] makes (1) work, and there is a K such that n> K makes (1) work is almost non-existent. Just pick an N which is bigger than both M and K and let n be larger than that, and it won't matter whether you write < or less than or =.

Once you understand why convergence is defined in terms of n > N, it really doesn't matter whether you have strict inequality or not.

I hope you can use these thoughts to construct a proof your teacher will like.

If I may editorialize, I think this is a poor choice of problem for a student. The strict or not strict inequality is essentially meaningless, and takes your eye off the ball, which is what convergence really means. However, do what you have to to get a good grade.

Last edited:
Thanks brmath. I do understand this on an intuitive level. I'm not particularly great at this stuff but I've taken a few junior and even a senior analysis/proof oriented course before, and I have proved much more complex stuff. That's why I'm surprised I couldn't get started here. But I definitely understand and your explanation helped.

Because I asked this question the night before it was due, I didn't really have time to do much so i just threw down an "explanation". Hopefully I'll get something out of it, but the remainder of the assignment was completed, so I hope it will not affect my grade too much.

Thanks!

I remember being a student and doing things the night before they were due. Computer programming cured me of that (missed deadlines where money was involved). My theory became that if I start early and get something done early, this could not possibly hurt. If I start early and something goes wrong (which is practically always) then there is time to recover. I hope your explanation will be satisfactory to your teacher.

Normally i too start my assignments late (i.e., i start my assignments the night before). this one, however, i started early :) hopefully my habits change and continue this way this semester.

1. What is the definition of convergence?

Convergence refers to the behavior of a sequence as the number of terms increases. It is considered to converge if the terms of the sequence approach a specific value, known as the limit, as the number of terms increases.

2. What are the different equivalent definitions of convergence?

There are several equivalent definitions of convergence, including the epsilon-N definition, the Cauchy criterion, and the monotone convergence theorem. These definitions all describe the same concept of approaching a limit as the number of terms increases.

3. How does the epsilon-N definition of convergence work?

The epsilon-N definition states that a sequence {an} converges to a limit L if for any positive number ε, there exists a natural number N such that for all n>N, the absolute difference between an and L is less than ε. In other words, the terms of the sequence eventually get close enough to the limit that the difference between them is smaller than any chosen positive number.

4. What is the Cauchy criterion for convergence?

The Cauchy criterion states that a sequence {an} converges to a limit L if and only if for any positive number ε, there exists a natural number N such that for all m,n>N, the absolute difference between am and an is less than ε. This means that the terms of the sequence eventually get close enough to each other that the difference between them is smaller than any chosen positive number.

5. How does the monotone convergence theorem relate to equivalent definitions of convergence?

The monotone convergence theorem states that a monotone increasing sequence that is bounded above converges to its supremum, and a monotone decreasing sequence that is bounded below converges to its infimum. This theorem is another equivalent definition of convergence, as it describes the behavior of a sequence approaching a limit through monotonicity and boundedness.