Complex Analysis: Find f'(z) & Region of Analyticity

In summary: It does have to be differentiable in some disc centered at the point in order for it to be analytic at that point.
nateHI

Homework Statement

For each of the following functions f(z), find f'(z) and identify the maximal region for which f(z) is analytic.

1. [itex]f(z)=1/(z^2+1)[/itex]
2. [itex]f(z)=e^{-1/z}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1. [itex]f'(z)=\frac{-2z}{(z^2+1)^2}[/itex] <--this part is easy. I'm having difficulty being certain of the maximum region for analyticity. Here is my attempt.

f(z) is analytic everywhere but + or - i because f'(z) is undefined there.

Is that a true stament or is the correct statement ... f(z) is analytic everywhere but + or - i because f(z) is undefined there.

2. [itex]f'(z)=\frac{e^{-1/z}}{z^2}[/itex] <--this part is easy. I'm having difficulty being certain of the maximum region for analyticity. Here is my attempt.

f(z) is analytic everywhere but 0 because f'(z) is undefined there. However, f(z) is analytic at infinity.

Is that a true stament or is the correct statement ... f(z) is analytic everywhere but 0 because f(z) is undefined there. However, f(z) is analytic at infinity.

Physics news on Phys.org
The short answer is that you are correct.

In the future the simplest way to approach these problems is to remember the definition of analytic:

Definition: A function ##f(z)## is analytic at a point ##z_{o}## if ##lim_{z \rightarrow z_{o}} \frac{f(z) - f(z_{o})}{z - z_{o}} = lim_{h \rightarrow 0} \frac{f(z_{o} + h) - f(z_{o})}{h}##.The maximal region for which ##f(z)## is analytic will be the entire complex plane with any singularities removed (read: with the places it is undefined removed.

For example, for your second function we can write:

The function ##f(z) = e^{\frac{-1}{z}}## is analytic on ℂ - {0}.

nateHI said:

Homework Statement

For each of the following functions f(z), find f'(z) and identify the maximal region for which f(z) is analytic.

1. [itex]f(z)=1/(z^2+1)[/itex]
2. [itex]f(z)=e^{-1/z}[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1. [itex]f'(z)=\frac{-2z}{(z^2+1)^2}[/itex] <--this part is easy. I'm having difficulty being certain of the maximum region for analyticity. Here is my attempt.

f(z) is analytic everywhere but + or - i because f'(z) is undefined there.

Is that a true stament or is the correct statement ... f(z) is analytic everywhere but + or - i because f(z) is undefined there.
The first statement is the one you want. There's a theorem that says if a function is complex differentiable at a point, it's analytic at that point. Just because a function exists at a point doesn't mean it's analytic there.

vela said:
The first statement is the one you want. There's a theorem that says if a function is complex differentiable at a point, it's analytic at that point.

I don't think so huh vela? Doesn't it have to be complex-differentiable in some disc centered at the point in order for it to be analytic at that point?

Yeah, you're right.

1. What is complex analysis?

Complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of functions of complex numbers. It involves the analysis of functions in the complex plane, where the independent variable and the output are both complex numbers.

2. What is the purpose of finding f'(z) in complex analysis?

Finding f'(z) in complex analysis allows us to determine the derivative of a complex-valued function with respect to a complex variable. This is useful in solving problems related to complex numbers and their functions, as well as in many areas of physics and engineering.

3. How do I find f'(z) in complex analysis?

To find f'(z), you will need to use the Cauchy-Riemann equations, which provide a relationship between the partial derivatives of a function with respect to the real and imaginary parts of a complex variable. This allows us to express the derivative in terms of the partial derivatives of the real and imaginary parts of the function.

4. What is the region of analyticity in complex analysis?

The region of analyticity is the region in the complex plane where a given function is analytic, meaning it has a derivative at every point. It is a subset of the complex plane where the function is well-behaved and has no singularities or discontinuities.

5. Can a function be analytic in one region and not in another?

Yes, a function can be analytic in one region and not in another. The region of analyticity depends on the behavior of the function within that region, and it is possible for a function to have singularities or discontinuities in some regions but not in others. It is important to determine the region of analyticity in order to accurately analyze and understand a complex-valued function.