Nth Derivatives and Taylor Polynomials

In summary, if f and g exist and \lim_{x \rightarrow x_0} \frac{f(x)-g(x)}{(x-x_0)^n} = 0 then f(x_0) = g(x_0)
Yagoda

Homework Statement

Show that if [itex]f^{(n)}(x_0)[/itex] and [itex]g^{(n)}(x_0) [/itex] exist and
[itex] \lim_{x \rightarrow x_0} \frac{f(x)-g(x)}{(x-x_0)^n} = 0 [/itex] then
[itex]f^{(r)}(x_0) = g^{(r)}(x_0), 0 \leq r \leq n [/itex].

Homework Equations

If f is differentiable then [itex] \lim_{x \rightarrow x_0}\frac{f(x)-T_n(x)}{(x-x_0)^n}=0 [/itex], where Tn is the nth Taylor polynomial.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm stuck on how to start the proof at all. I tried induction on r, but didn't get very far with that since I had trouble showing that [itex]f(x_0) = g(x_0)[/itex]. Any ideas on what direction to go to get started?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Let's get you started here. First, you can regard f(x) and g(x) as the 0th derivatives, so that [tex] lim_{x \rightarrow x_0} \frac{f(x) - g(x)}{(x-x_0)^0} = 0 \Rightarrow f(x_0) -g(x_0) = 0[/tex] so we have [tex]f(x_0) = g(x_0)[/tex]

For the first derivatives we have [tex] \frac {f(x)-f(x_0) -(g(x) - g(x_0))}{x-x_0} = \frac {f(x) -(g(x) }{x-x_0} \rightarrow 0 \hspace{50px}(1)[/tex]

But the limit in (1) also goes to [tex]f'(x_0) - g'(x_0)[/tex]

We conclude that [tex]f'(x_0) = g'(x_0)[/tex]

If you were going to use this method to prove the result for f'' and g'' you could repeat the above argument for f' and g' instead of f and g. Does this tell you how to do the induction step?

Likes 1 person
I understand how this works for the 0th derivative and first derivative, but I am having trouble seeing how it would work for the second and higher derivatives. What confuses me is the exponent on [itex](x-x_0)^n[/itex].

For the second derivative I am writing[itex]\frac{f'(x)-f'(x_0)-(g'(x)-g'(x_0))}{(x-x_0)}[/itex] and using [itex]f'(x)=g'(x)[/itex] and using the defintion of the second derivative, but then I don't have [itex](x-x_0)^2[/itex] in the denominator or and f(x) or g(x) on top. Do I have to multiply through by something to get those to appear?

Ah, actually I think I see how those appear. I broke down the first derivative the one step further into limit form.

Sorry, I wrote this carelessly. When you go back to the definition of f' and g' your original hypothesis should appear. If you can show that [tex]f''(x_0) = g''(x_0)[/tex] then you can see how to do the induction step.

What are Nth derivatives and Taylor polynomials?

Nth derivatives and Taylor polynomials are mathematical concepts used in calculus to approximate functions and analyze their behavior at specific points. The Nth derivative of a function represents the rate of change of the function's derivative, and the Taylor polynomial is a polynomial function that can be used to approximate the original function at a specific point.

How are Nth derivatives and Taylor polynomials related?

Nth derivatives and Taylor polynomials are closely related because the Nth derivative of a function can be used to find the coefficients of the Taylor polynomial for that function. The more derivatives that are taken, the more accurate the Taylor polynomial becomes in approximating the original function.

What is the purpose of using Taylor polynomials?

The main purpose of using Taylor polynomials is to approximate more complex functions with simpler polynomial functions. This allows for easier analysis and calculation of the function's behavior at specific points. Taylor polynomials are also used to approximate the value of a function at a point, especially when the function cannot be evaluated directly.

How do you find the Nth derivative of a function?

To find the Nth derivative of a function, you can use the power rule and take the derivative N times. For example, to find the 3rd derivative of f(x), you would take the derivative 3 times using the power rule. Alternatively, you can also use the Taylor series expansion formula to find the Nth derivative of a function.

What are some real-world applications of Nth derivatives and Taylor polynomials?

Nth derivatives and Taylor polynomials have many practical applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. For example, they can be used to approximate the behavior of physical systems, calculate rates of change in economic models, and optimize the performance of engineering designs. They are also used in various numerical methods for solving differential equations and other mathematical problems.