Is the Symmetric Tensor or Vector Equal to Zero Given a Specific Condition?

I don't think you can prove it unless you show it holds in any basis. The problem is not asking you to show that the equation is true for some specific basis, but rather that it is true for any basis.In summary, the problem states that if the components of a symmetric tensor (t_{ab}) and a vector (v_a) satisfy the equation v_{(a}t_{bc)} = 0, then either the symmetric tensor or the vector must be equal to 0. This can be proven by considering special cases and showing that either v_a or t_aa must be 0 for all a, or that the equation holds for any basis in the vector space.
ehrenfest

Homework Statement

If t_{ab} are the components of a symmetric tensor and v_a are the components of a vector, show that if:

[tex] v_{(a}t_{bc)} = 0 [/tex]

then either the symmetric tensor or the vector = 0.

Let me know if you are not familiar with the totally symmetric notation.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

You can write out the 6 terms in the equation above and then reduce it to 3 terms through the symmetry of the tensor but I am not sure where to go from there.

Physics news on Phys.org
ehrenfest said:
You can write out the 6 terms in the equation above and then reduce it to 3 terms through the symmetry of the tensor

I don't really feel like doing that now... can you post what that got you?

[tex] v_{a}t_{bc} + v_{c}t_{ab} + v_{b}t_{ca}= 0 [/tex]

ehrenfest said:
[tex] v_{a}t_{bc} + v_{c}t_{ab} + v_{b}t_{ca}= 0 [/tex]

I think you can do it if you start with the special cases

[tex] v_{a}t_{aa} = 0 [/tex]

[tex] 2 v_{a}t_{ab} + v_{b}t_{aa}= 0 [/tex]

Last edited:
Daverz said:
I think you can do it if you start with the special cases

[tex] v_{a}t_{aa} = 0 [/tex]

[tex] 2 v_{a}t_{ab} + v_{b}t_{aa}= 0 [/tex]

I don't know--

You're first equation only implies that either v_a or t_aa is 0 for a given a. Using the first one with the second one doesn't really imply anything because both v_a and t_aa could be 0 so then there would be no restrictions on t_ab or v_b.

ehrenfest said:
I don't know--

You're first equation only implies that either v_a or t_aa is 0 for a given a. Using the first one with the second one doesn't really imply anything because both v_a and t_aa could be 0 so then there would be no restrictions on t_ab or v_b.

v_a is arbitrary, so if v is not identically zero, t_aa must be zero for all a (think of v_1=1, the rest 0, then the same for a=2, 3, ...). Actually, I think that does it, because there's no way t_aa=0 for all a unless t is identically zero.

Otherwise, for v not identically zero, the second equation then gives v_a t_ab = 0, and, again, since v_a is arbitrary, we must have t_ab = 0.

Last edited:
Daverz said:
v_a is arbitrary, so if v is not identically zero, t_aa must be zero for all a (think of v_1=1, the rest 0, then the same for a=2, 3, ...). Actually, I think that does it, because there's no way t_aa=0 for all a unless t is identically zero.

First of all, v_a is not arbitrary--it is a vector that is part of the problem statement.
Second, why could you not have something like:

v_a = (1,0,1,0,1,1,1,0,...)
t_aa = (0,1,0,1,0,0,0,1,...)

This is a case where v is not identially zero and t_aa is NOT zero for all a

ehrenfest said:
First of all, v_a is not arbitrary--

Perhaps it's easier to think of the basis for the vector space as being arbitrary.

it is a vector that is part of the problem statement.
Second, why could you not have something like:

v_a = (1,0,1,0,1,1,1,0,...)
t_aa = (0,1,0,1,0,0,0,1,...)

This is a case where v is not identially zero and t_aa is NOT zero for all a

But the equation has to hold for any basis for the vector space, not just this one.

Last edited:
Daverz said:
But the equation has to hold for any basis for the vector space, not just this one.

That is not stated in the problem and I think it is not safe to assume that. The problem just gives us the components of a tensor and a vector, presumably in a given basis.

I think we should be able to prove if it holds in just one basis.

Do other people agree with Daverz? I thought when the problem said that "If t_{ab} are the components of a symmetric tensor", that meant it was symmetric in some given basis?

1. What is a totally symmetric tensor?

A totally symmetric tensor is a mathematical object that represents a multilinear mapping between vector spaces, where the order or arrangement of its components does not affect the value of the tensor. This means that all the indices of the tensor can be freely interchanged without changing its value.

2. How is a totally symmetric tensor different from a general tensor?

A totally symmetric tensor is a special type of tensor where all the indices are symmetric with respect to each other. In contrast, a general tensor can have any combination of symmetric and antisymmetric indices. Totally symmetric tensors are often used in physics and engineering to simplify calculations and equations.

3. What are the applications of totally symmetric tensors?

Totally symmetric tensors are used in various fields of science and engineering, such as fluid dynamics, solid mechanics, and electromagnetism. They are particularly useful in problems involving rotation and reflection symmetry, as well as in problems where the order of operations does not matter.

4. How are totally symmetric tensors represented mathematically?

Totally symmetric tensors are typically represented using upper indices, such as Tij, to denote the number of times a particular index is repeated. The number of indices corresponds to the rank of the tensor, and the order of the indices does not affect the value of the tensor.

5. Can totally symmetric tensors be transformed into other types of tensors?

Yes, totally symmetric tensors can be transformed into other types of tensors by applying appropriate operations, such as contraction or raising and lowering indices. However, the resulting tensor may no longer be totally symmetric. In general, the transformation of tensors is governed by certain rules and properties, which are important in various areas of physics and mathematics.