Recycling of reaction-mass by linear wormholes

In summary, The conversation centers around the idea of using wormholes and advanced propulsion methods to conserve mass and achieve high speeds in space travel. The proposed design involves using a linear arrangement of wormholes and an engine, potentially a NERVA type reactor or a plasma propulsion system. However, there are concerns about losing momentum and the ability to move the wormholes with the ship. The conversation ends with an invitation for comments and suggestions to improve the design.
Lord Flasheart
In my mind, I tried to overcome the horrendous problem of having to carry every gram of reaction mass with your space-craft. Surely, how could a person using three dimensions recycle mass without having the recycled fuel slow down the craft? In three-dimensions, Newton's Third Law could be a curse to conservative space-farers. But what if a person didn't limit himself to the tri-dimensional physics, but exceeded them?

My theory is that, by using a linear arrangement of wormholes and engine, one could achieve high speeds with little fuel.

A little diagram to show what I mean:

/-----------------\
|••• |===| ••••|
\-----------------/

The object in the middle is the engine, probably a NERVA type reactor that simply pushes the reaction mass (•••) out the back by using heat. Or, if one wanted to be a little more futuristic, the engine could be a plasma that is propelled by electro-magnetic fields.

the two arc shaped figures are the wormholes, the right being the entry point, and, the left being the exit. By utilizing the casimir effect on a large scale, one could create wormholes big enough to let a little matter go through. (The plasma propulsion method would be more suited for the wormholes, as the plasma stream could be modified to be thinner/thicker depending on the casimir effect's effeciency.

But there are many flaws to my design.

What if momentum is lost when the reaction mass enters the wormholes? The slower fuel from the exit wormhole would upset the balance of perpetual fuel replenishment, thus slowing it down.

How could one move the wormholes with the ship? Perhaps an electro-magnetic field applied to the wormholes, (after giving them a charge) could do the trick.

Is there another method to expand/create wormholes? The casimir effect seems adequete enough, but other situations might arise for the need of grand ships that would require a more effective way of throuting the wormholes.

Thus, I finish my virtual manuscript. Comments are required so as to perfect the theoritical design of it. If you would be so kind as to participate in perfection, state your opinions

Engineering news on Phys.org
Refreshing the un-freshed.

Surely there is someone out there willing to speak of his own mind about this! I cannot believe this thread is "echoing" in the silence. I invite thee-all.

T'is a good idea,
I would suspect that if there is *something* wrong, *someone* would fix it.
If it isn't broke, do not attempt repair,
de Nice codre

What is "Recycling of reaction-mass by linear wormholes"?

"Recycling of reaction-mass by linear wormholes" is a theoretical concept in physics that proposes using linear wormholes to recycle reaction-mass in space travel. This means that instead of carrying a finite amount of fuel for a spacecraft's propulsion, the reaction-mass would be continuously recycled and reused, making long-distance space travel more feasible.

How do linear wormholes work in the recycling of reaction-mass?

Linear wormholes are hypothetical tunnels through space-time that could potentially allow for faster-than-light travel. In the context of recycling reaction-mass, they would act as a conduit for the used reaction-mass to be sent back to the spacecraft's propulsion system, eliminating the need for constantly refueling with new reaction-mass.

What are the potential benefits of recycling reaction-mass by linear wormholes?

The main benefit of this concept is that it would significantly reduce the amount of fuel needed for long-distance space travel. This could make previously impossible missions, such as traveling to distant planets or other star systems, more feasible. It could also potentially reduce the cost and environmental impact of space travel.

What are the challenges or limitations of this concept?

One of the main challenges is the theoretical nature of linear wormholes. They have not been proven to exist, and there is currently no known way to create or control them. Additionally, the technology and resources needed to implement this concept would be extremely advanced and may not be feasible with current technology.

Are there any real-world applications of this concept?

While the concept of recycling reaction-mass by linear wormholes is still purely theoretical, there are some real-world applications that could potentially benefit from the use of linear wormholes. These include space exploration, long-distance space travel, and potentially even time travel. However, significant advancements in technology and a better understanding of wormholes would be needed for these applications to become a reality.