Flux Integral for a Surface Above a Disc with Downward Orientation

In summary, the conversation discusses the computation of the flux of a vector field through a specific surface. The surface is described as part of a disc and the discussion includes a discrepancy in the integrand value and radius. It is later clarified that the online homework had an error and the correct answer does use a radius of 2.
Instinctlol
QUESTION: Compute the flux of the vector field, F , through the surface, S.

F = xi+yj+zk

S is the part of the surface z = x^2 + y^2 above the disc x^2 + y^2 ≤ 4 , oriented downward.

I am just wondering why the integrand is from o to 4 while the radius is only 2.

bewjcz.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
It isn't. That's incorrect. It should be 2.

My solution guide says otherwise, along with my online homework

HallsofIvy said:
It isn't. That's incorrect. It should be 2.

I just emailed my teacher and he said there was an error in the online homework. The correct answer is indeed used with radius 2. Sorry about that.

1. What is a flux integral?

A flux integral is a mathematical tool used in physics and engineering to calculate the flow of a vector field through a surface. It involves integrating the dot product of the vector field and the surface normal over the surface.

2. How is a flux integral calculated?

A flux integral is calculated by first defining the surface over which the flux is being calculated. Then, the vector field and surface normal are multiplied together and integrated over the surface using the appropriate integration technique, such as double or triple integration.

3. What is the physical significance of a flux integral?

A flux integral represents the amount of a vector quantity that flows through a given surface. It is often used in physics to calculate the flow of electric or magnetic fields, fluid flow, and heat transfer, among others.

4. What are some applications of flux integrals?

Flux integrals have a wide range of applications in physics and engineering. They are used in electromagnetism, fluid mechanics, thermodynamics, and other fields to calculate the flow of various quantities through surfaces.

5. What are some common challenges when calculating flux integrals?

Some common challenges when calculating flux integrals include determining the appropriate surface and vector field to use, setting up the integral correctly, and dealing with complex surfaces or vector fields. It is also important to pay attention to units and make sure they are consistent throughout the calculation.