Converting Bitmap Image to JPEG for Xbox Kinect

• C#
  • Thread starter madmike159
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, the person is trying to figure out how to save a bitmap image from an Xbox Kinect to a JPEG. They are using C#.
madmike159
Gold Member
I am getting a 640x480 bitmap image of an Xbox Kinect, and I have also made a separate programs which can send and receive images over TCP.

Since bimaps are uncompressed I would like to convert the image to a JPEG to save bandwith. The only examples I have seen of this were for saving images.

The code I have seen was something like this.

Code:
Image bitmapImage = openfile(path);    //Gets image from a file path
Image jpegImage;
jpegImage.save(path, jpg);     //Saves a jpeg to the path

I want to be able to get an image from the Kinect (I have code for this bit), then that the Image object and save it to another Image but as a JPEG.

Anyone got any ideas on how to do this?

Technology news on Phys.org
Bump

Anyone got any ideas, I'm struggling to find a way to do this.

What language are you coding in? That would be helpful information.

Mark44 said:
What language are you coding in?

From the thread title, I presume C#.

AlephZero said:
From the thread title, I presume C#.
I thought he had said C#, but couldn't find it in the body of his post. Guess I didn't look hard enough to notice it in the title.

Mad Mike, check the System.Drawing namespace, and particularly the Image class. The Save method has an overload that let's you specify the format of the saved image.

Last edited:
Yea, I'm using c#. Should have made that clear.

At the moment I am reading in a bmp image from the kinect camera, saving it as a jpg and then opening that file and sending the jpg. I would rather just be able to convert it without having to save it to disk first.

1. How do I convert a bitmap image to JPEG for Xbox Kinect?

To convert a bitmap image to JPEG for Xbox Kinect, you can use a variety of image editing software such as Adobe Photoshop, GIMP, or Paint. Simply open the bitmap image and save it as a JPEG file. Alternatively, there are also online converters available that can easily convert your image for you.

2. Why do I need to convert my bitmap image to JPEG for Xbox Kinect?

Xbox Kinect uses JPEG compression for image and video processing. Converting your bitmap image to JPEG ensures that the image will be compatible with the device and can be easily processed and displayed.

3. Will converting a bitmap image to JPEG affect the image quality?

Yes, converting a bitmap image to JPEG will result in some loss of image quality. This is because JPEG is a lossy compression method, meaning some data from the original image will be discarded to reduce file size. However, the difference in quality may not be noticeable to the human eye.

4. Can I convert a JPEG image back to a bitmap image?

Yes, you can convert a JPEG image back to a bitmap image using image editing software such as Adobe Photoshop. However, keep in mind that the image quality may be slightly reduced due to the lossy compression of JPEG.

5. Are there any size limitations when converting a bitmap image to JPEG for Xbox Kinect?

Yes, there may be size limitations when converting a bitmap image to JPEG for Xbox Kinect. The maximum file size that can be processed by the device may vary depending on the specific model and software. It is recommended to check the device's manual or specifications for more information.