Polarity of large CHO compunds

• Thread starter paraflax
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polarity
In summary, the conversation discusses the polarity of larger CxHyOz compounds, specifically lignans and tannins. The speaker is seeking clarification on whether the size and position of -OH groups in these compounds affects their overall polarity. The expert confirms that both factors can influence polarity, but notes that the topic is complex and requires further research.
paraflax
Hello!
Does anyone have information or knowledge on the polarity of larger CxHyOz compunds?
To be more specific, the compunds that I'm interested in are different kinds of lignans such as Hydroxymatarésinol (C20H22O7) and tannins such as taxifoline (C15H12O7) just to name a few.

As I understand it, compunds with -OH groups tend to be polar so I want to say that they are polar, but I'm wondering if the size of the compunds and/or the positions of the OH-groups have any influence on the overall polarity?

It's for a report want to be able to back up my claims of polarity or non-polarity with more than just the -OH groups argument =)

Any help will be greatly appreciated =)

Chemistry news on Phys.org
paraflax said:
I'm wondering if the size of the compunds and/or the positions of the OH-groups have any influence on the overall polarity?

Yes & yes.

As I thought, would you mind explaining it a bit more if you can?

Sorry, I can't.

Don't get me wrong - it is not that I don't want to help, but the topic itself is worth a thick book.

In general if the -OH groups are at the "outside" of the molecule, and if they are more acidic than typical alcohol groups, you can expect the molecule to be more polar. But it is just scratching of the surface.

I was afraid of that, but thanks anyway. I'll keep looking.

What is meant by the polarity of large CHO compounds?

The polarity of a compound refers to the separation of electrical charges within the molecule. In the case of large CHO compounds, this refers to the distribution of electrons between carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen atoms in the molecule.

How does the polarity of large CHO compounds affect their physical properties?

The polarity of a compound can affect its solubility, boiling point, and melting point. Generally, more polar compounds will have higher boiling and melting points and will be more soluble in polar solvents.

What factors contribute to the polarity of large CHO compounds?

The polarity of a compound is determined by the difference in electronegativity between the atoms in the molecule and the molecular geometry. In large CHO compounds, the polarity is primarily influenced by the electronegativity of the oxygen atom and the overall shape of the molecule.

Are large CHO compounds typically polar or nonpolar?

This can vary depending on the specific compound, but in general, large CHO compounds tend to be polar due to the presence of the highly electronegative oxygen atom. However, the overall polarity can also be influenced by the presence of other functional groups and the molecular geometry.

How does the polarity of large CHO compounds affect their reactivity?

The polarity of a compound can impact its reactivity by influencing how it interacts with other molecules. For example, polar compounds may be more reactive with other polar molecules due to the attraction between opposite charges, while nonpolar compounds may be more reactive with nonpolar molecules due to their similar electron distributions.