Switching time of a mechanical switch - capacitive model

In summary, the switch has a spring constant and a damping coefficient. The electrostatic force is due to spiring and the force due to damping is due to the air in the assembly. The conservation of energy yields the time of the switch.
msandeep92
Hi,

I am trying to solve a problem, where i need to find the switching time of a mechanical switch.

A voltage of V is applied to an acutation pad, and the movable beam is assumed to have a spring constant of K.

I have attached the photo for better clarity.

Please help me out. Consider the damping of the switch due to air also.

Thanks,
Sandeep.

Attachments

• switch.png
    switch.png
    7.4 KB · Views: 531
Physics news on Phys.org
msandeep92 said:
Hi,

I am trying to solve a problem, where i need to find the switching time of a mechanical switch.

A voltage of V is applied to an acutation pad, and the movable beam is assumed to have a spring constant of K.

I have attached the photo for better clarity.

Please help me out. Consider the damping of the switch due to air also.

Thanks,
Sandeep.

Welcome to the PF.

What is the context of your question? Is this for a school research project? Why are you using a capacitive switch instead of inductive? Is this for a nano-scale structure? Why would you still have air in the assembly? What have you done so far on this problem?

Yes. This is a part of my research project.

This is a nano scale structure. This is a capactive switch being used in RF MEMS - one of the latest emerging fields which is hoped to replace the semiconductor switches for RF applications. Semiconductor switches have very high capacticances turning up at high frequencies. So, we use these switches as a replacement, which provide lower capacitance and hence higher isolation.

We are deivcing a new model of the switch for higher switching speed. So, in this regard i need this calculation.

What i have done so far on the beam is:

Electrostatic force Fe = εA(V^2 )/(2*(d-x)^2);

Froce due to spiring Fk = -K*x;

Force due to damping Fd = - b*(dx/dt)

Using conservation of energy:

.5*m*(v^2) = ∫Fdx

F = Fe + Fk + Fd

Neglect the damping as of now.

If i go on integrating Fe and Fd, i get:

dx/dt = √[(εA(V^2)x/m(d-x)d) - k(x^2)/2] = p

From here, i get time by t = ∫(dx/p).

I am struck in this integration, Please help me.

I am not able to understand how to integrate the damping term also.

Thanks,

Sandeep.

You can see this paper(attached) for better understanding.

Attachments

• Closed form expressions for RF MEMS.pdf
    105.3 KB · Views: 353

I would approach this problem by first considering the fundamental principles of mechanical switches and their operation. A mechanical switch works by using a movable beam or contact to make or break an electrical connection, allowing current to flow or not. In order to determine the switching time, we need to understand the factors that affect the movement of the beam and how it relates to the voltage and spring constant.

Firstly, the voltage applied to the actuation pad will create an electric field, which will generate a force on the movable beam. This force will cause the beam to move, and the speed of this movement will depend on the strength of the electric field and the mass of the beam.

Secondly, the spring constant of the beam will also play a role in the switching time. A higher spring constant means that the beam will require more force to move, resulting in a slower switching time. On the other hand, a lower spring constant will allow for quicker movement and a faster switching time.

In addition to these factors, we must also consider the damping of the switch due to air. Damping refers to the resistance that a material or object experiences when it is in motion. In this case, the air surrounding the switch will create a resistance to the movement of the beam, slowing down the switching time.

To calculate the switching time, we can use the equation t = 2π√(m/K), where t is the time, m is the mass of the beam, and K is the spring constant. However, in order to factor in the effects of the voltage and damping, we would need to use a more complex equation that takes into account these variables.

In summary, to determine the switching time of a mechanical switch, we need to consider the voltage, spring constant, and damping of the system. By understanding these factors and using appropriate equations, we can accurately calculate the switching time and optimize the performance of the switch. I hope this helps in solving your problem. Good luck!

What is a mechanical switch and how does it work?

A mechanical switch is a device that allows or interrupts the flow of electricity in a circuit. It consists of two contact points, typically made of metal, that can be physically moved to make or break the connection. When the switch is closed, the contact points touch and electricity can flow through. When the switch is open, the contact points are separated and the flow of electricity is interrupted.

What is the capacitive model of a mechanical switch?

The capacitive model of a mechanical switch takes into account the capacitance between the two contact points. Capacitance is the ability of an object to store electrical charge. In a mechanical switch, the contact points act as two plates of a capacitor, with the air or other material between them acting as the dielectric. This capacitance affects the switching time of the switch.

How does the capacitance affect the switching time of a mechanical switch?

The capacitance between the contact points of a mechanical switch affects the time it takes for the switch to open or close. When the switch is closed, the capacitance between the contact points must be charged or discharged before the switch can open. This results in a delay in the opening of the switch. Similarly, when the switch is opened, the capacitance must be charged or discharged before the switch can close again, resulting in a delay in the closing of the switch.

How can the switching time of a mechanical switch be calculated?

The switching time of a mechanical switch can be calculated using the capacitance and the resistance of the switch. The time constant, or the time it takes for the capacitor to charge or discharge, is equal to the product of the capacitance and the resistance. The switching time can then be estimated by multiplying the time constant by a factor, typically 5 or 6. This calculation is based on the assumption that the switch is being operated within its rated voltage and current.

What are some factors that can affect the switching time of a mechanical switch?

Aside from the capacitance and resistance, other factors that can affect the switching time of a mechanical switch include the material and design of the contact points, the operating voltage and current, and the environment in which the switch is being used. Additionally, external factors such as vibrations, temperature, and humidity can also impact the switching time. Manufacturers typically provide specifications for their switches, including the maximum switching time, to help users choose the best switch for their specific application.