I'm confused about this integral

In summary, the conversation discusses an attempt to prove or disprove a mathematical equation involving integrals and poles. The speaker is confused about where to close the contour and is getting different results depending on the direction of the contour. They are advised to compute the results numerically and analyze them analytically. The speaker also mentions doubts about the "steppy" nature of the results and the possibility of closing the contour incorrectly.
mmzaj
i'm trying to prove - or disprove ! - the following :
[tex] -\ln x\frac{\left \{ x^{1/n} \right \}}{2n^{3}}=\frac{1}{2\pi i}\int_{-i\infty}^{i\infty}\frac{s}{\left((ns)^{2}-1\right)^{2}} x^{s}ds[/tex]
where [itex]\left \{ x^{1/n} \right \} [/itex] is the fractional part of [itex] x^{1/n}[/itex]
for [itex] x\in \mathbb{R}:x>1 [/itex], [itex] n\in \mathbb{Z}^{+}[/itex]
i'm confused about where to close the contour: to the right , or to the left of the imaginary axis. because the integrand has poles at [itex]n^{-1} [/itex] and [itex] -n^{-1}[/itex]. and by the reside theorem, i get two different results!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe you're getting different results because the results are different. Are you sure the contribution along the half-circle arc is zero whether you go around the left half plane or the right half plane?

Just compute it numerically to see if there's a difference, then if there is, try and show it analytically.

maybe i was closing the contour the wrong way! i didn't use half circles, i closed it using straight segments parallel to the real/imaginary lines. thanks for the remark . however, i still have doubts about the 'steppy' nature of the result - if correct ! - .

mmzaj said:
i'm confused about where to close the contour: to the right , or to the left of the imaginary axis. because the integrand has poles at [itex]n^{-1} [/itex] and [itex] -n^{-1}[/itex]. and by the reside theorem, i get two different results!
Is it that you get the opposite sign? If so, maybe you forgot to flip the bounds of the linear integral in order to go anticlockwise around the pole.

What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is used to calculate the total value or quantity of a changing variable over a specific interval.

Why am I confused about integrals?

Integrals can be confusing because they involve multiple steps and require a strong understanding of calculus and algebra. They also have various applications in different fields, which can make it difficult to grasp their purpose.

What are the different types of integrals?

There are two main types of integrals: definite and indefinite. A definite integral has specific numerical limits, while an indefinite integral does not. Other types include improper integrals, line integrals, and surface integrals.

How do I solve an integral?

Solving an integral involves using specific techniques and rules, such as substitution, integration by parts, and the fundamental theorem of calculus. It also requires a strong understanding of algebraic manipulation and trigonometric identities.

What are some real-world applications of integrals?

Integrals have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. They can be used to calculate areas, volumes, and rates of change in real-world situations, such as finding the velocity of an object or the amount of medicine in a patient's bloodstream.