Power a led with piezoelectricty

• Thread starter ninja.lion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Led Power
In summary, the author of the youtube video used a green LED and it worked. He suggests trying a different connector pair on the earpiece plug.
ninja.lion
I hae aqiured a piezo disk and LEDS but it will not power them. i do not know if it is the disk or an led. I tried the LED with AA AAA and D batteries but only turned on with 9V they are sea green

Physics news on Phys.org
Without that description, it is hard to find out, but I would expect one of those reasons:
- voltage too low
- current too low
- time the piezo disks supply that voltage and current too short

The LED should need something like ~2-3V.

so how do all the videos on youtube of someone poking a disk and the led soldered to it lighting up work?

ninja.lion said:
so how do all the videos on youtube of someone poking a disk and the led soldered to it lighting up work?

They've chosen a combination of disk and LED that will work - the disk produces enough voltage and current to activate that LED.

how would you find a combo like that

ninja.lion said:
Can you provide a link to a good one?

Last edited by a moderator:
ninja.lion said:

I'm surprised to see that small piezo produce sufficient current to flash a LED. He doesn't seem to be tapping it with much force, either.

Last edited by a moderator:
My disks are 3.7 cm in diameter what type of led should i use.

by the way thanks for the help

Try it at night in the dark, to see whether you can discern any flash.

I'm not sure whether polarity must be observed, but try reversing the leads.

This somewhat dated reference says that Green LEDS based on InGaN technology work the best for low currents. http://donklipstein.com/ledlocu.html

The LED in that youtube video was green. Does the author there indicate what he used?

thank you very much I will try with green LED I will also try using more than one disk at a time. just wondering i sodor the WIRES to to metal disk and the smaller part of the crystal disk that is seprsted from the rest

If you are unsure which are the terminals, try connecting a multimeter (voltmeter) between the likely places, and tap the piezo. I expect you'll see a voltage jump when you have the right spots.

i tried that no voltage

ninja.lion said:
i tried that no voltage
You tapped it while you had the voltmeter connected? Maybe that piezo is dead, do you have another one to try?

Do you have an unwanted radio earpiece (or phone earpiece)? Try connecting two wires from the piezo to two of the earpiece plug connections. Hold the earpiece near your ear, not in it, then tap the piezo. I don't know whether this will work, but with luck you'll hear a click. You'll have to experiment to find the right connector pair on the plug. As you'll see, you need 4 or 5 hands to perform this.

If this doesn't work, then I think I'm out of ideas. You don't have access to an oscilloscope, do you? If the piezo is working, the voltage would show up well on it.

1. How does piezoelectricity work?

Piezoelectricity is the ability of certain materials, such as crystals, to generate an electric charge when mechanical stress is applied to them. This occurs because the stress causes a shift in the material's atomic structure, creating an imbalance of positive and negative charges which results in an electric field.

2. What are the benefits of using piezoelectricity to power a LED?

One of the main benefits of using piezoelectricity to power a LED is that it is a renewable and sustainable source of energy. Unlike traditional batteries, which eventually need to be replaced, piezoelectric generators can continue to generate electricity as long as there is mechanical stress applied. Additionally, piezoelectricity is a clean energy source and does not produce harmful emissions.

3. What materials can be used to create a piezoelectric generator for powering a LED?

There are several materials that can be used to create a piezoelectric generator, such as crystals like quartz, tourmaline, and ceramic materials like lead zirconate titanate (PZT). These materials are chosen for their ability to produce a strong electric charge when mechanical stress is applied.

4. How much power can be generated from piezoelectricity to power a LED?

The amount of power generated from piezoelectricity depends on several factors, including the type of material used, the amount of mechanical stress applied, and the size of the piezoelectric generator. In general, piezoelectric generators are capable of producing small amounts of power, but advancements in technology are continuously improving their efficiency.

5. What are some potential applications for using piezoelectricity to power a LED?

Piezoelectric generators can be used in a variety of applications to power LEDs, such as in wearable technology, sensors, and self-powered devices. They can also be used in environments where traditional batteries are not feasible, such as in remote locations or underwater. Additionally, piezoelectricity has potential uses in renewable energy sources, such as harvesting energy from footsteps or vibrations in machinery.