Two wire touching side by side

• Thread starter Askara
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wire
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a short circuit occurring if a nichrome wire of 0.5 mm diameter with 230 volts passing through it is coiled up and the wire touches itself in a circular formation. It is mentioned that the resistance in the area where the wire touches is very high due to the small contact area, potentially preventing a short circuit. However, other factors such as the setup and surface of the wire may also play a role.
Askara
so say i have a nichrom wire of 0.5 mm dia, and pass 230 v through it.and i coil it up, but some part of the coil touched (imagine the wire parallel to each other so basically 2 circle.) will it short the circuit? i have been told that the area they touch is extremely smaller since they are circular, so the resistance is very high compare to going through the wire normally, hence it doesn't short?

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on your setup, the surface of the wires and some other things. As an example: if you contact two banana plugs, you can get a resistance below 0.1 Ohm, and their contact area is basically point-like.

What is the concept of "two wire touching side by side"?

The concept of "two wire touching side by side" refers to the physical arrangement of two electrical wires that are in direct contact with each other, running parallel to one another. This can occur in various electrical systems, such as in household wiring or electronic circuits.

What is the significance of two wires touching side by side?

The significance of two wires touching side by side is that it can create a short circuit, which can potentially cause damage to electrical components or even start a fire. It is important to ensure that wires are properly insulated and not touching each other to avoid this issue.

Can two wires touching side by side affect the flow of electricity?

Yes, two wires touching side by side can disrupt the flow of electricity. When wires are in direct contact, it can create a path of least resistance, causing the electricity to bypass the intended circuit and potentially overload the system. This can lead to malfunctions or even damage to electrical devices.

How can I prevent two wires from touching side by side?

To prevent two wires from touching side by side, it is important to properly insulate and secure the wires. This can be done by using insulating materials such as electrical tape or wire caps. It is also important to follow proper wiring techniques and avoid overloading circuits.

What should I do if I notice two wires touching side by side?

If you notice two wires touching side by side, it is important to address the issue immediately. Turn off the power supply and carefully separate the wires, ensuring they are properly insulated. If there is any damage to the wires, it is best to replace them with new ones. If you are unsure how to safely handle the situation, it is best to seek professional help.