Steady State Current: Charge Flow Q&A

In summary: Then does it have any relationship to the charge flow?? it is actually an ode question. i have obtain a q(t) equation in the first part, q = charge. The question ask to obtain steady state current from q(t)In summary, the current in a current carrying conductor is constant, but the rate of charge flow is not.
shenjie
Hi all, can i know is it true that charge flow is equal to zero at steady state current? Or is the rate of charge flow equal to zero. Thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure what you mean exactly but in a current carrying conductor the charge is the electron ,
current itself is the movement of electric charge so how come the movement of charge add up to zero?

steady state current means that a constant charge per unit time is flowing through the wire, device, etc.
zero current is but one case of steady state current.

Likes 1 person
shenjie said:
Hi all, can i know is it true that charge flow is equal to zero at steady state current? Or is the rate of charge flow equal to zero. Thanks :)

Steady state here means that dI/dt, or the rate of change of current, is zero, meaning that I (current) is a constant.

Zz.

Then does it have any relationship to the charge flow?? it is actually an ode question. i have obtain a q(t) equation in the first part, q = charge. The question ask to obtain steady state current from q(t)

Another interpretation could be that the current is periodic and its frequency and amplitude are unchanging.
When a sinusoidal current is applied to a circuit, a transient voltage and current is produced. This is followed by a "steady state" voltage and current. But neither voltage nor current is constant (including zero). They are steady in the sense that they behave in steady periodic form with steady amplitude and period.

shenjie said:
Then does it have any relationship to the charge flow?? it is actually an ode question. i have obtain a q(t) equation in the first part, q = charge. The question ask to obtain steady state current from q(t)

You appear to not understand the relationship between charge flow, and current.

I = dq/dt. If I is a constant (as in the steady state current), what does it say about dq/dt?. And if dq/dt is a constant, what is q(t)?

If this is related to school work, then (i) it should have been done in the HW/Coursework forum, and (ii) we've almost given you too much information.

Zz.

1. What is steady state current?

Steady state current refers to the flow of electric charge that remains constant over time. In other words, the amount of charge passing through a certain point in a circuit does not change, indicating a stable flow of electricity.

2. How is steady state current different from transient current?

Transient current, also known as transient response, refers to the initial fluctuation of current in a circuit before it reaches a steady state. This can occur when a circuit is first turned on or when there are sudden changes in the circuit's components. Steady state current, on the other hand, is the constant flow of current once the transient response has settled.

3. What factors affect the steady state current in a circuit?

The steady state current in a circuit is affected by several factors, including the voltage applied, the resistance of the circuit, and the type of material used for the conductors. In addition, the presence of capacitors and inductors can also impact the steady state current as they can store and release charge, altering the flow of electricity.

4. How is steady state current measured?

The unit of measurement for steady state current is amperes (A), which represents the rate of flow of electric charge. It can be measured using an ammeter, which is a device specifically designed to measure current in a circuit. The ammeter is connected in series with the circuit, allowing it to measure the current passing through a specific point.

5. Can steady state current ever change?

In theory, steady state current should remain constant as long as the conditions in the circuit do not change. However, in practical applications, external factors such as temperature, humidity, and component degradation can cause slight variations in the steady state current over time. These changes are typically small and can be accounted for in circuit design.