Register to reply

Dissolving carbon dioxide from air without dissolving any other gases.

by nst.john
Tags: carbon, dioxide, dissolving, gases
Share this thread:
nst.john
Nov5-13, 07:13 PM
P: 115
Hello,

Me and two other people are doing a science research competition for high school students and for our project we thought of a machine that takes in air through a pump and dissolves CO2 and only CO2. The problem is I don't know what to put in for a solution or pure liquid that would dissolve the CO2. I thought about water but I don't know how to find the pressure needed to dissolve a gas, and also heard about monoethanolamine which dissolves CO2 but don't know how to make it or if it would be very effective. If you can either give me an equation or method to finding the pressure needed to dissolve gases in water, or if MEA is effective or any other methods to do this that would be great.

Thanks!
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Chemists modify antibiotic to vanquish resistant bacteria
Abnormal properties of cancer protein revealed in fly eyes
Rooting out horse-meat fraud in the wake of a recent food scandal
SteamKing
Nov5-13, 08:21 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 6,743
Air is a mixture of different gases, not a solution.

There are various methods of scrubbing CO2 from breathable atmospheres in confined spaces, like submarines and spacecraft:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_dioxide_scrubber
Borek
Nov6-13, 02:27 AM
Admin
P: 23,723
For a simple dissolution check the Henry's law. In the case of CO2 things get more complicated, as CO2 reacts with water creating carbonic acid, if it gets neutralized, more CO2 can be dissolved. That's more or less how MEA works, but it is also possible with any base - it is just the further separation that can make some substances better.

Also, see http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...6031999500007Z

Register to reply