Reverse engineer a one-wire bus

In summary, the speaker discusses building a computer in their car for navigation and music purposes. They mention wanting to display song and artist information on the OEM LCD screen, and explain that there is a one wire bus in the wiring harness that carries data from the XM tuner to the LCD. They ask for advice on what kind of tool to use to listen and record the signal, and mention the possibility of manipulating the data with code. The speaker also mentions the potential of figuring out the protocol and writing to the bus in the future. They suggest using a logic analyzer pod to monitor the signal and recommend looking into Dallas Semiconductor's 1-wire "Touch" IO standard for ideas.
alanr723
I built a computer in my car, mainly for navigation and mp3 purposes. I would like to display song/artist information to the OEM LCD screen.

There is a one wire bus in a wiring harness that carries data (track name, artist name, XM channel) from the XM tuner to the LCD in the dash. I'm assuming it's binary in a 12V+ (on) and 0V (off) sort of configuration.

Here's where I need EE help. What kind of tool can I use to "listen in" to this and record the signal so that I can analyze it? I was thinking an oscilloscope or logic analyzer might be what I need, but I know nothing about either. It would be best to get this data into a computer where I could manipulate it with some code...

Once this is possible, the next huge step would be to figure out the protocol and try to write to this bus :) But I'll save that for later.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Here's a pretty good inexpensive logic analyzer pod that we use here at my work for simpler tasks. It would be the easiest way to monitor the signal and get it into a computer for you to analyze.

http://www.tech-tools.com/dv_main.htm

Also check out Dallas Semiconducdtor's 1-wire "Touch" IO standard. It's probably different from the XM standard, but it will give you some ideas of things to look for in 1-wire comm.

thanks for the help!

What is a one-wire bus?

A one-wire bus is a communication protocol that allows devices to communicate with each other using only a single data wire. It is commonly used in low-cost and low-speed applications, such as sensors and temperature monitors.

What is reverse engineering?

Reverse engineering is the process of analyzing a product or system to understand its design and functionality. It involves taking a product apart and examining its components to determine how it works.

Why would someone want to reverse engineer a one-wire bus?

Reverse engineering a one-wire bus can be useful for understanding how a particular device or system operates and for identifying potential vulnerabilities or bugs in the protocol. It can also help in creating compatible devices or interfaces for the one-wire bus.

What are the steps involved in reverse engineering a one-wire bus?

The first step is to gather information about the one-wire bus protocol, such as its timing and signaling specifications. Then, the physical and electrical characteristics of the bus must be analyzed. This is followed by capturing and analyzing the data sent on the bus to determine the protocol's structure and commands. Finally, the results are used to develop a working implementation of the one-wire bus protocol.

What are some challenges of reverse engineering a one-wire bus?

Some challenges of reverse engineering a one-wire bus include the complexity of the protocol, the lack of documentation or specifications, and the potential for damaging the devices being analyzed. In addition, the results of the reverse engineering process may not always be accurate or complete.