Constant Acceleration in a Calculus Word Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that acceleration is constant using a given function that relates velocity to position. It is determined that using the chain rule and substituting velocity for ds/dt allows for the acceleration to be expressed as a constant.
preet
"An object moves so that its velocity, v is related to its position. s according to v = (b^2 + 2gs) ^1/2 where b and g are constants. Show that the acceleration of the object is constant."

I typed out the question exactly as it is. I'm confused because I don't really get what to do. To show that acceleration is constant, I need to get rid of that "s" variable in the question. Acceleration is = to d(velocity)/dt... but from the given function, you can only get d(v) / ds.

So dv/dt = dv/ds * ds/dt

But how do I find d(s) / dt? Don't I need a function that has position in terms of time?

TiA
Preet

Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't ds/dt just v?

e(ho0n3 said:
Isn't ds/dt just v?

Yes but v isn't a function of t in this case, it is a function of s

Does that matter? I mean, a = dv/ds * ds/dt = v dv/ds. If it can be shown that this is constant, then the problem is solved. There is no need to get rid of s.

e(ho0n3 said:
Does that matter? I mean, a = dv/ds * ds/dt = v dv/ds. If it can be shown that this is constant, then the problem is solved. There is no need to get rid of s.

Could you please show me how;

[tex]\frac{dv}{ds} \cdot \frac{ds}{dt} = v\frac{dv}{ds}[/tex]

Perhaps I'm missing something? It is late after all and I've run out of coffee :grumpy:

~H

dv/ds * ds/dt = ds/dt * dv/ds by commutativity and substituting ds/dt for v gives the result I gave.

Is there a flaw in my reasoning here?

Ahhhh :mad: It was so simple I missed it :frown:. My frantic scribblings on paper seem so stupid now.

[tex]\frac{ds}{dt} = v [/tex]

You reasoning is perfect e(ho0n3.

To clarify for the OP;

You were right by using the chain rule to obtain;

[tex]\frac{dv}{dt} = \frac{dv}{ds} \cdot \frac{ds}{dt}[/tex]

What you (and I) didn't spot is that;

[tex]\frac{ds}{dt} = v \Rightarrow a = \frac{dv}{dt} = v\frac{dv}{ds}[/tex]

As e(ho0n3 correctly stated.

~H

Last edited:
Yeah, I feel bad not catching that... it was so obvious =/. Thanks a lot for the help!

-Preet

1. What is Calculus and how is it used in word problems?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of continuous change. It is used in word problems to solve complex real-world situations involving rates of change, optimization, and finding the area under a curve.

2. What are the different types of word problems in Calculus?

The different types of word problems in Calculus include rate problems, optimization problems, and area/volume problems. Rate problems involve finding the rate of change of a quantity over time. Optimization problems involve finding the maximum or minimum value of a function. Area/volume problems involve finding the area or volume of a shape or object.

3. How can I approach solving a Calculus word problem?

To solve a Calculus word problem, it is important to first understand the problem and identify what is being asked. Then, translate the problem into mathematical equations and use appropriate calculus concepts and techniques to solve the equations. Finally, check your answer to make sure it makes sense in the context of the problem.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving Calculus word problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving Calculus word problems include misinterpreting the problem, using incorrect calculus concepts or techniques, and making algebraic errors. It is also important to be careful with units and make sure they are consistent throughout the problem.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving Calculus word problems?

To improve your skills in solving Calculus word problems, it is important to practice regularly and work through a variety of problems. Additionally, make sure to thoroughly understand the underlying calculus concepts and techniques and review any mistakes you make. Seeking help from a tutor or studying with a group can also be beneficial.