Understanding Capacitance: Answers to Common Questions Explained

In summary, the first question is asking whether the charge on each plate of a parallel plate capacitor connected to a battery will increase, decrease, or remain the same when the plates are moved farther apart. The answer is that the charge will decrease, as the distance between the plates increases, the capacitance decreases, and therefore the charge must also decrease. However, there is also the argument that the electric potential will remain constant and thus the charge will remain the same. The second question is asking about the voltage between the plates of the capacitor after the plates have been moved apart and then brought back together, with the battery disconnected. The answer is that the voltage will be the same, as the charge remains constant, the electric field is the same
Noesis
I have thought about these questions, and although they seem easy I have different answers to them:

1) Consider a parallel plate capacitor with some capacitance C. The plates of the capacitor are connected to a battery that maintains a constant potential. If the plates are moved farther apart, does the charge on each plate increase, decrease, or remain the same?

I don't know whether to say that the charge remains the same since the electric potential will remain constant...or that the distance will alter the potential and thus the charge will increase.

Mathematically, I also get another answer:
If C = Q/V, where V is the potential between the capacitors and it doesn't change, and we know the capacitance must go down since the distance is increased, then logically the charge must decrease.

So I don't know whether to go with decrease, same, or increase.

2) Consider the same parallel plate capacitor connected to a battery. After moving the plates apart, the battery is disconnected so that the plates are electrically isolated. The plates are then moved back to their original separation. Is the voltage between the plates larger, smaller, or the same as the potential of the battery?

Here, the charges will remain constant since it was electrically isolated. So I imagine that this means the potential will remain the same...and thus once brought back together the potential is the same.

Am I thinking about this wrong? I believe I don't have a very good understanding regarding potentials and capacitance.

If anybody could shed some light on this I would greatly appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
The formula for parallel plate capacitor is C = E*A/d where A - area of the plate, d - distance between the plates, E - constant.
Use this equation and Q = C*V for both problems.

Thank you.

So from the equations, and from some logic..I get that the charge decreases for the first one, and in the second one the voltage is the same.

Charge decreases in the first one, because the capacitance goes down when you move them farther apart, and thus the charge must go down.

But what I am worried about here is, does the voltage go up when the capacitance goes down?

From V = Q/C ... it would. So does the charge really decrease or does it stay the same?

For the second one..since the charge is the same, I figure the electric field, will be same, and obviously so will the area and distance.

So from V = Q/C .. it will still be the same.

Can anyone confirm or dispel these ideas? Thank you.

For the second one. The charge does not change but the capacitance does change since you decrease the distance between the plates. From Q=V*C you can see that in order for charge to stay constant, voltage has to increase in order to accommodate decrease in capacitance.

1. What is capacitance and how is it measured?

Capacitance is a measure of an object's ability to store electrical charge. It is measured in units of Farads (F) and is typically represented by the symbol C. Capacitance can be measured using a device called a capacitance meter, which measures the amount of charge stored on an object for a given voltage.

2. What factors affect capacitance?

The capacitance of an object is affected by three main factors: the distance between the two conductive plates, the area of the plates, and the dielectric constant of the material between the plates. As the distance between the plates decreases, the capacitance increases. Similarly, as the area of the plates increases, the capacitance also increases. The dielectric constant of the material between the plates determines how much charge can be stored for a given voltage, with higher dielectric constants resulting in higher capacitance.

3. How does capacitance affect the behavior of circuits?

Capacitance plays a crucial role in the behavior of circuits, especially in AC circuits. In a DC circuit, a capacitor will act as an open circuit, blocking the flow of current. However, in an AC circuit, a capacitor will allow current to flow, but its behavior will depend on the frequency of the AC signal. At higher frequencies, capacitors behave like open circuits, while at lower frequencies, they behave like short circuits, allowing current to pass through.

4. How can capacitance be increased or decreased?

The capacitance of an object can be increased by decreasing the distance between the two plates, increasing the area of the plates, or using a material with a higher dielectric constant. Conversely, capacitance can be decreased by increasing the distance between the plates, decreasing the area of the plates, or using a material with a lower dielectric constant.

5. What are some common applications of capacitance?

Capacitors have a wide range of applications in various fields, including electronics, power systems, and telecommunications. Some common applications include storing energy in flash cameras and defibrillators, filtering noise in electronic circuits, and improving power factor in electrical systems. Capacitors are also used in touch screens, radio receivers, and electronic filters.