Solving Exponential Equations Using Logarithms

In summary, the problem is to solve the equation 3 x 2^x = 12 using logarithms. After some initial confusion, the correct approach is to bring the 3 to the right side and use logarithms to isolate the x. Another method is to divide by 3 and use the inverse of the exponential function, which is logarithm, to solve for x. Both methods result in the solution x = 2.
JDK
Hello,

The following problem is bothering me quite a bit. It is...

Solve.
3 x 2^x = 12

The Unit this question is in is about solving exponential equations through expressing each side as a power of the same base, by taking a base (x) logarithm of each side or taking a base 10 logarithm of each side.

The answer is supposed to be 2. Here are my calculations.

3 x 2^x = 12
log 3 + xlog 2 = log 12
x(log 3 - log 2) = log 12
xlog 3/2 = log 12
x = log 12 / log 2/3

Now this is incorrect for probably more then one reason. I've had success doing the questions of the form... 3^3x-1 = 9^2x. But when they introduced multiplication on the left side of the eq I got lost. Also I noticed that 3 or 2 cannot have a whole number exponent to make 12. Confusion is upon me. Thanks for the help in advance!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
How u reached x(log 3 - log 2) = log 12 from
log 3 + xlog 2 = log 12

I was trying to work along with the textbooks' example but the question didn't follow mine very closely.

As was stated, this is where you go wrong:

log 3 + xlog 2 = log 12
x(log 3 - log 2) = log 12

You can not factor x out of the log(3) term... since it has no factor of x in it! And what's up with the minus sign?

The correct way to do it is something like this:

log(3) + xlog(2) = log(12)
xlog(2) = log(12) - log(3)
xlog(2) = log(12/3)
x = log(4)/log(2) = log(2^2)/log(2) = 2log(2)/log(2) = 2

However, a simpler/better way is this:

3 * 2^x = 12
2^x = 12/3 = 4
2^x = 2^2
x = 2

:P

Last edited:
the main thing you should focus on is getting x by itself, right off

so from [tex](3)2^x = 12[/tex], you should bring the 3 over to the right side, and then use logarithms to separate the 2 and the x. Then you can bring the 2 over, isolating x. Also remember that [tex]log (X^y) = (y)(log X)[/tex], although I think you already know this from the stuff you did. Try this and if you still can't get it post back.

Last edited:
One unfortunate complication is that you used "x" to mean two different things. My first reaction when I saw "3 x 2^x = 12" is that you can't do this using logarithms since you have x both in the exponent and not in the exponent! Then I realized that the first "x" is times. It would be better to write the equation either as
"3*2^x= 12" using "*" for times or to just write 3(2^x)= 12.

As has been pointed out, you are correct that
log(3)+ x log(2)= log 12. Your error is in then writing
"x(log 3 - log 2)= log 12". That would be the same as
"xlog(3)+ xlog(2)= log 12". What you should do from
log(3)+ x log(2)= log 12 is subtract log(3) from both sides:
x log(2)= log(12)- log(3)= log(12/3)= log(4).

Actually, the way I would be inclined to do the problem is to divide by the "3" first: Dividing both sides of 3(2^x)= 12 gives 2^x= 4. You should then be able to recognize that 2^2= 4 so x= 2. That is, in a sense, using logarithms because it uses the basic definition of logarithm. Given that a^x= a^b, it follows that x= b because we know that a^x is a one-to-one function: it HAS an inverse. Saying that x= b is the same as using the inverse on both sides of the equation and the inverse IS the logarithm.

however, he will not always be able to come to those conclusions because x will not always be that simple. I suggest that instead of the last steps being:

2^x = 4
2^x = 2^2

you instead do this:

[tex]log 2^x = log 4[/tex]
[tex]x(log 2) = log 4[/tex]
[tex]x = \frac{\log 2}{log 4}[/tex]

Originally posted by Warr
however, he will not always be able to come to those conclusions because x will not always be that simple. I suggest that instead of the last steps being:

2^x = 4
2^x = 2^2

you instead do this:

[tex]log 2^x = log 4[/tex]
[tex]x(log 2) = log 4[/tex]
[tex]x = \frac{\log 2}{log 4}[/tex]

it should be
[tex]x = \frac{\log 4}{log 2}[/tex]

ack, sorry, the latex code was annoying me a bit and I must have accidently switched them

Yes, it is true that if the problem were for example, 3*2x= 9, then it reduces to 2x= 3 and so x log(2)= log(3) so x= log(3)/log(2).

However, in my opinion, it is much better to understand that logarithm means the exponent. I suspect that the whole point of the problem 3(2x)= 12 was to recognize that this is the same as 2x= 22 rather than to mindlessly apply a formula.

Wow. I actually understand this now. You all have my many thanks and my praise. I can continue with my work finally. This is the best response for help I've received yet. :smile:

What is an exponential equation?

An exponential equation is an equation in which the variable appears in the exponent. It can be written in the form y = ab^x, where a and b are constants and x is the variable.

Why is solving exponential equations important?

Solving exponential equations is important in many fields of science and engineering, as they often describe relationships between variables that change at an exponential rate. It allows us to make predictions and solve real-world problems.

What is a logarithm?

A logarithm is the inverse function of an exponential function. In simpler terms, it is the power to which a base number must be raised to equal a given number. It is denoted as logb(x) = y, where b is the base, x is the argument, and y is the solution.

How do we solve exponential equations using logarithms?

To solve an exponential equation using logarithms, we first take the logarithm of both sides of the equation. This allows us to bring the variable out of the exponent and solve for it algebraically. Once we find the value of the variable, we can substitute it into the original equation to check our answer.

Can all exponential equations be solved using logarithms?

No, not all exponential equations can be solved using logarithms. Some equations may require more advanced techniques, such as using logarithmic properties or graphing methods. Additionally, some equations may have no real solutions or may involve complex numbers.