Intro to tensors book for self-study?

In summary, there are a few suggestions for self-study books on tensors. The Schaum's book is recommended for its focus on worked problems, but it may not provide a deep understanding. The Foundations of Differentiable Manifolds and Lie Groups by Frank Warner is also recommended, although it may not be a typical choice for an introduction to tensors. Finally, the Lovelock & Rund book offers a comprehensive coverage of tensor analysis, including topics in general relativity.
Mothrog
I wonder if anyone might have some suggestions for a good self-study book on tensors. I'm just starting in on Jackson and have only seen tensors briefly in my previous undergrad classes. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Schaum's has a tensor book that i suseful for self-study

See also this thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=127811

The Schaum's book has a lot of worked problems, and I think it does a good job getting you up to speed, but it's a typical Schaum's outline in that it doesn't spend any time motivating the mathematics.

If you learn best by example, Schaum's is your book (and it's cheap, too). If you learn best by understanding why things are done one way rather than another, you might want to look elsewhere for a deeper treatment.

- Warren

i like Foundations of Differentiable Manifolds and Lie Groups
by Frank Warner,

mathwonk said:
i like Foundations of Differentiable Manifolds and Lie Groups
by Frank Warner

Amazon has [URL[/URL]
the table of contents and an excerpt from the Warner book[/url]. Not a book that comes to mind when someone asks for an intro to tensors, but you can look it over.

[URL]https://www.amazon.com/dp/0486658406/?tag=pfamazon01-20[/URL] listed an outline of the Lovelock & Rund book:

[quote]
Chap. 1: Preliminary Obs.-- Chap. 2: Affine Tensor Algebra in Euclidean Geometry-- Chap. 3: Tensor Analysis on Manifolds -- Chap. 4: Additional Topics from the Tensor Calculus -- Chap. 5: The Calculus of Differential Forms -- Chap. 6: Invariant Problems in the Calculus of Variations -- Chap. 7: Riemannian Geometry -- Chap. 8: Invariant Var. Principles and Phys. Field Theories -

Chap. 8 covers a good deal of General Relativity
[/quote]

(When I linked to the thread on Lovelock & Rund, I should have made it clear that I wouldn't necessarily recommend the Bishop & Goldberg book I mentioned there if your interest is just "tensors".)

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a tensor?

A tensor is a mathematical object that describes the relationship between vectors and scalars in a multi-dimensional space. It can be thought of as a generalization of a vector, which only describes magnitude and direction, to higher dimensions.

2. How is a tensor different from a matrix?

While both tensors and matrices are multi-dimensional arrays of numbers, they serve different purposes. Tensors can operate on multiple vectors and scalars simultaneously, whereas matrices can only operate on one vector at a time. Tensors also have additional properties, such as rank and order, that matrices do not have.

3. What are some real-world applications of tensors?

Tensors have a wide range of applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and machine learning. They are used to describe physical quantities, such as stress and strain in materials, and to model complex systems, such as neural networks in deep learning.

4. Do I need a strong background in math to understand tensors?

While a basic understanding of linear algebra and calculus is helpful, it is not necessary to have a strong background in math to learn tensors. The concepts can be understood through visualizations and practical examples, and there are many resources available for self-study.

5. Can I use this book for self-study or do I need a teacher?

This book is designed for self-study, but having a teacher or mentor can be helpful in clarifying any questions or difficulties that may arise. It is recommended to have a basic understanding of linear algebra before starting to learn tensors on your own.