Calculating Depth of Water in Floating Cube

In summary, the conversation discusses a hollow cubical box floating in a lake and the depth of water in the box when it starts to sink. The formula for buoyant force is mentioned, along with the need to find the maximum weight the displaced water can support. The weight of the water and the volume needed to just sink the box are calculated. The final conclusion is that the box will sink at a depth of 0.2 meters.
rsyodoom2005
1. A hollow cubical box is .30 m. This box is floating in a lake 1/3 of its height beneath the surface. The walls of the box have neglibe thickness. Water is poured into box. what is the depth of the water in the box at the instant the box begins to sink? pwater= 1000kg/m3

Fb= Pfluid G V
D=M/V

okay so i got the volume of the whole of the box to be .027 m(3) then the volume of the submurged by multyplying .1m * .3m * .3m = .009m
I figure i need to know the buoyent force that is pushing up on the cube before the water is added. so i did 1000kg/m(3) (9.8m/s)(.009m) so once i get that force what i would it set it equal to! help!

Physics news on Phys.org
What you need to do is find the maximum weight the displaced water can support. That means you need to find the weight of the water that would be displaced by the whole box. Now you know the weight of the box by finding how much water it displaces floating at a third of its height. Thus all you need to do is add to the box the difference between the max weight for that volume the water can hold and the weight of the box. Once you find the weight of the water you can find the volume and thus how far up the box it will need to be to just sink it.

okay so i got the amount of the water being displaced by multypling 1000 kg/m * .009m = 9kg at 1/3 of its height. so the rest 2/3 it would take 18 kg to fill the cube right..so i divided my mass of 18kg by my density of water to get my volume.. my volume i know was .3*.3 * X= i got x to =.2m...so at .2 meter of height the cube will sink...?

Seems good to me.

thanks for the help!

What is the formula for calculating the depth of water in a floating cube?

The formula for calculating the depth of water in a floating cube is: depth = (volume of cube) / (area of base).

How do I measure the volume of the cube?

The volume of a cube is calculated by multiplying the length, width, and height of the cube. If the cube is irregularly shaped, you can use a displacement method by submerging the cube in water and measuring the amount of water displaced.

What is the area of the base?

The area of the base is the length of one side of the cube squared (A = s x s). This assumes that the cube is a perfect square. If the cube is irregularly shaped, you can measure the length and width of the base and multiply them to get the area.

What units should I use for the volume and area of the cube?

The units for the volume and area of the cube should be consistent. For example, if the length, width, and height of the cube are measured in centimeters, then the volume and area should also be in cubic centimeters and square centimeters, respectively.

Can I use this formula for any shape of the floating object?

No, this formula is specifically for calculating the depth of water in a floating cube. For other shapes, you will need to use different formulas that take into account the shape and dimensions of the object.