Why is my back stiff when sleeping on my belly?

• Thread starter DaveC426913
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pain
In summary, Dave has been waking up with a pain in his kidney area for the last month or so. This pain is different from the type of pain he might get after straining his back, and it goes away quickly enough. Dave has recently gained weight, which may be causing the pain, and he is considering a physical to figure out why his back is hurting. His wife also kicks him in the night to wake him up so he doesn't snore, which could be causing the back pain.
DaveC426913
Gold Member
In the last month or so, I have been waking up with my kidney area painfully stiff. This is not the same kind of pain I might get after straining my back during a day of heavy lifting. It feels like I've spent the night bent over backwards, as if I am on my belly but with several pillows under my head. (I only sleep with one pillow.)

The pain goes away quickly enough - after just a half hour or so as I go about my day. Itr's not a deep pulle dmuscle kind of pain, though it is still quite difficult to move for the morning.

When I was young I slept on my back. When I got married, the snoring became a problem and I got used to sleeping on my side/belly. I've lately swtiched back to sleeping on my back as that seems to go a long way toward waking up without pain.

The one thing that's changed in the last few months is that I've gained ten pounds, which accumulates around my belly.

It's no surprise that gaining weight would cause back pain, I'm just trying to figure out why my back would get stiff when I'm sleeping on my belly.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe it's time for a new mattress!

Dave, have you had a physical?

stewart may be right. My leg has been hurting for the last 3 days because of my mattress

Do you still snore? Maybe your back is sore because your wife is kicking you at night to wake you up and stop the snoring. :uhh: :biggrin:

stewartcs said:
Maybe it's time for a new mattress!
Yeah. I sleep like a log on hard mattresses. I'vce been bugging my wife for something new. I'll bug her more.

Evo said:
Dave, have you had a physical?
Why? You available? :biggrin:

I get a checkup every year or so. I got a sleep study done just ten months ago...

Moonbear said:
Do you still snore? Maybe your back is sore because your wife is kicking you at night to wake you up and stop the snoring. :uhh: :biggrin:
Heh. No, what she does is bounce. But I'll check that with her. Somehow...

Last edited:
I don't think 10lbs of weight gain would cause a significant difference.

Beeza said:
I don't think 10lbs of weight gain would cause a significant difference.
One would think not, but surprisingly, it does, and in surprising ways. For example, a mere ten pounds weight gain will make the differnece between tolerable snoring and waking-the-dead snoring. Kind of a nasty circle, isn't it?

Dave said:
Evo said:
Dave, have you had a physical
Why? You available?
Hahaha :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1. Why do I wake up in pain every morning?

There are several possible causes for waking up in pain every morning. It could be due to an underlying medical condition, such as arthritis or fibromyalgia. It could also be caused by poor sleeping posture or an uncomfortable mattress. It is important to consult with a doctor to determine the cause and develop a treatment plan.

2. Is waking up in pain a sign of a serious health issue?

While it is not always a cause for concern, waking up in pain can be a sign of a serious health issue. If the pain persists or is accompanied by other symptoms, it is important to seek medical attention. It could be a sign of an underlying condition that requires treatment.

3. How can I prevent waking up in pain?

To prevent waking up in pain, it is important to maintain good sleep hygiene. This includes having a comfortable and supportive mattress and pillow, maintaining a consistent sleep schedule, and practicing relaxation techniques before bedtime. It is also important to address any underlying medical conditions that may be causing the pain.

4. Can sleeping positions affect waking up in pain?

Yes, sleeping positions can have a significant impact on waking up in pain. Certain positions, such as sleeping on your stomach or with your arm above your head, can put strain on your muscles and joints. It is recommended to sleep on your back or side with a pillow between your knees to alleviate pressure on the spine.

5. How does TMI affect waking up in pain?

TMI, or too much information, can affect waking up in pain in several ways. For example, consuming alcohol or heavy meals close to bedtime can disrupt sleep and cause muscle tension. Additionally, using electronic devices before bedtime can disrupt the body's natural sleep cycle. It is important to maintain a healthy bedtime routine to promote better sleep and reduce the likelihood of waking up in pain.