How long can you hold your breath?

• Thread starter Gokul43201
  • Start date
In summary: That's actually a really interesting question. I have never tried to hold my breath that long. I think I could do it for a minute or two, but I'm not really sure.

What is the longest you have held your breath?

• 8 - 12 minutes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 12 - 17 minutes

• 17 - 23 minutes

• 23 - 30 minutes

• more than 30 minutes

• Total voters
Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Montoyas7940 said:
I would love to see a poll on this. How long can you hold your breath?

No smart-alecky answers please!

NOTE: This can include the time for one exhalation.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1-2 minutes, tops.

When I'm free diving, I like to get into a rhythm of 1 minute down, 1 minute up. I can keep that rhythm up for an hour or more. Wonderful and peaceful.

I can stay down longer, but then my recovery time is longer on the surface. Plus, I've gotten lightheaded a couple times coming back up after staying down longer, which is a definite reminder to not screw up and stay down too long!

"more than 30 minutes" :biggrin: If somebody holds his breath for more than 30 minutes, he is not typing anything on his computer anymore.

I used to be able to hold nearly up to 3 minutes, about 5 years ago when I was actually doing some free-diving in a local diving club. But now its probably the usual 1 minute... I don't actually want to know how bad I'm at this anymore, I haven't been diving for a long time.

I haven't tried to hold my breath since I was 12. But I remember timing myself at about 1 minute 30 seconds.

Makes me wonder how long I could hold my breath with the knowledge I have now of relaxation and meditation techniques...Blaine's record, here I come! :)

Thanks Gokul43201!

I am so excited. I have to practice first.

At the same age, around 12 or so, I was holding it for 3'35" under water. I was more or less serious with that, I mean, I did not do that stupidely at first attempt. I had been timing myself for a long months (years ?). In the beginning, holding 1'30 was difficult. So it took me several months to learn how to stay calm, to look after my heart beat while trying to minimize my entire body activity.

Now what is funny, is that I was not really doing this for any other purpose than amateur free diving in natural environment. I was among other sports a swimmer, a cross-country skier (winter) and cycler (summer), plus living in altitude also develops lungs naturally. And only years later did I read about people doing that seriously and found out that, the methods I came up with intuitively were used by professionals.

Don't try this at home ! ;-)

edit
Unfortunately, I have not been practicing for a looooong time, and I guess I cannot exceed 3' now. So I voted 2' to 3'.

I see now that I have asked a slightly different question in the OP and in the poll. :frown:

As a fun aside, one of the workout sets we do at the pool is called "under/overs". It's 25m (or yards) underwater, then pop up to do the next 25m butterfly. Do several of those in a row, and your lungs are burning!

The longest I can hold my breath comfortably and still function without worrying about it is around 45 seconds or so.

I haven't tried to determine the maximum time I could stay underwater since I was a kid and can't remember the longest I've ever held my breath, so you get an estimate.

OK, when I sumbit this post I will start holding my breath, then I will edit the post to reflect the time... if you don't see my edit please call for help!

I am about 40 seconds. You guys are crazy with your 2 minutes! A girl once passed out in my brothers year holding her breathe, and that thought has always freaked me out, especially under water!

Help!

One minute is my maximum.

Gokul43201 said:
Help!

Did you try and hold it for too long? Deep breaths, deep breaths.

Oh yeah! I just timed myself (http://www.online-stopwatch.com/) and got 2'18" (and 840 ms).

I bet I could easily get 3 minutes if I practiced a little bit. Just remember to relax your body as much as possible (if you practice meditation it's easy to get completely relaxed with a really low heart rate in a minute or two), breath in as completely and out as completely as you can about 30 times before you actually start, and while you're holding your breath don't move at all.

_Mayday_ said:
I am about 40 seconds. You guys are crazy with your 2 minutes! A girl once passed out in my brothers year holding her breathe, and that thought has always freaked me out, especially under water!
As I was indicating earlier, this is not to be taken as a stupid game, and is seriously dangerous.

Before holding your breath you need to concentrate, saturate your body in oxygen by deep intense breathing for several minutes. And most important of all : be reasonable and do not attempt to go anywhere beyond your capacity.

One should actually not attempt such things without taking a medical exam.

_Mayday_ said:
Did you try and hold it for too long? Deep breaths, deep breaths.
No, I'm trying to save mattmns.

mattmns said:
OK, when I sumbit this post I will start holding my breath, then I will edit the post to reflect the time... if you don't see my edit please call for help!

Gokul43201 said:
Help!

WHEW!

Gokul, thank you for calling for help!edit... to be honest, I was just embarrassed with my low time: held my breath for about 30 seconds :redface:

humanino said:
As I was indicating earlier, this is not to be taken as a stupid game, and is seriously dangerous.

Before holding your breath you need to concentrate, saturate your body in oxygen by deep intense breathing for several minutes. And most important of all : be reasonable and do not attempt to go anywhere beyond your capacity.

One should actually not attempt such things without taking a medical exam.

I have to admit that I see little purpose in holding your breath for a prolonged period of time if you can't do anything else but hold your breath. It's probably more important to know how long you can function without air. How many tries you can make at rolling your kayak right side up before you'd better seriously consider bailing out; how long you can look for your lost contact lens on the bottom of a swimming pool; how long you have to unsnap your seatbelt and get out of your car after driving into a lake; how long you have to saw your feet off with a pocket knife after organized crime associates have tossed you into the river with a cement block; things like that.

BobG said:
I have to admit that I see little purpose in holding your breath for a prolonged period of time if you can't do anything else but hold your breath. It's probably more important to know how long you can function without air. How many tries you can make at rolling your kayak right side up before you'd better seriously consider bailing out; how long you can look for your lost contact lens on the bottom of a swimming pool; how long you have to unsnap your seatbelt and get out of your car after driving into a lake; how long you have to saw your feet off with a pocket knife after organized crime associates have tossed you into the river with a cement block; things like that.

What if Predator was hunting you and the only way to avoid detection was to remain perfectly still underwater? You have to think realistically, here.

BobG said:
...how long you have to saw your feet off with a pocket knife after organized crime associates have tossed you into the river with a cement block...

:eek:

I use breath-holding to get rid of hiccups. But I don't take a deep breath and hold it; I breath all the way out, then hold it. I find I get to the near-panic state very quickly, and hiccups are gone, just like that.

Gokul43201 said:
I see now that I have asked a slightly different question in the OP and in the poll. :frown:

I was going to say...

"No smart-alecky answers," yet we have choices that go up to 30 minutes?

Those synchronized swimmers can hold their breaths for 4 minutes or so. The record is about five. I'm a life-long swimmer, and I can only get to two and a bit.

Daniel Y. said:
What if Predator was hunting you and the only way to avoid detection was to remain perfectly still underwater? You have to think realistically, here.

To stay underwater, without floating up, you need to hold your breath after exhaling. Now THAT hurts, but it is also effective in building lung capacity if repeated regularly.

Chi Meson said:
I was going to say...

Those synchronized swimmers can hold their breaths for 4 minutes or so. The record is about five. I'm a life-long swimmer, and I can only get to two and a bit.

If they're just sitting still while holding their breath?

During their routines, the top competitors can go 1 to 2 minutes straight with their head underwater, but that's obviously nowhere close to just sitting on the bottom of a pool. Those people are doing some serious work and are running a heart rate close to 200 beats per minute.

http://www.active.com/swimming/Arti...ing_helps_increase_strength_and_endurance.htm

Chi Meson said:
I was going to say...

I chose the number of poll options I wanted (10) before I'd decided on the numbers I was going to put in them. Besides, the thread on Blaine talks about the previous record being about 16 minutes. 30 minutes is not even a factor of 2 above the record! :biggrin:

Gokul43201 said:
Help!

Sure. Help with what?

berkeman said:
Sure. Help with what?
Help me teach people to read all the posts in the thread before replying! :tongue2:

Gokul43201 said:
Help me teach people to read all the posts in the thread before replying! :tongue2:

Gokul43201 said:
No, I'm trying to save mattmns.

Oh crap! :bugeye: I completely forgot about mattmns. My bad! Gokul's a HERO! o:)

I read the title to this thread and tried it after first reading the results. I never swim, and haven't tried holding my breath for years. I made it a minute and simply exhaled. I could have gone longer but not sure how far. I seriously doubt much over a minute and a half. I had been sitting in front of the computer for about 15 minutes so the heart rate was down low. I doubt I'd make it very far if I had to hold my breath while getting a workout.

My brother and I used to do breath holding contests, and I used to swim laps underwater. In my best conditioned state, my pulse rate would drop into the 40 bpm give or take.

Gokul43201 said:
the thread on Blaine talks about the previous record being about 16 minutes.
Blaine and other brain-damaged people don't count.

While practicing rolling my kayak in the pool lately, I've been able to get off upto 5-6 roll attempts on one breath, and that includes the setup, so probably around 1.5-2.5 mins

Could it be that people who are good at holding their breath were more likely to vote in the poll, while those who were not so good, were more likely to skip voting? I thought I'm elite when I can hold 2-3mins, but now I seem to be average only! :devil:

jostpuur said:
Could it be that people who are good at holding their breath were more likely to vote in the poll, while those who were not so good, were more likely to skip voting? I thought I'm elite when I can hold 2-3mins, but now I seem to be average only! :devil:

I think you're probably right about the skew. But just think, you're average among the elite! :cool:

<h2>1. How long can the average person hold their breath?</h2><p>The average person can hold their breath for about 1-2 minutes. However, this can vary greatly depending on factors such as age, lung capacity, and physical fitness.</p><h2>2. What is the world record for holding your breath?</h2><p>The current world record for holding your breath is 24 minutes and 3 seconds, set by Aleix Segura Vendrell in 2016. However, this is an extremely dangerous and potentially fatal activity and should not be attempted without proper training and supervision.</p><h2>3. Can holding your breath improve lung capacity?</h2><p>Yes, regularly practicing holding your breath can improve lung capacity and overall respiratory function. This is because it forces your lungs to work harder and expand more, increasing their capacity over time.</p><h2>4. Is it safe to hold your breath for a long time?</h2><p>No, holding your breath for an extended period of time can be very dangerous and potentially fatal. It can lead to loss of consciousness, brain damage, and even death. It is important to always practice breath holding in a safe and controlled environment.</p><h2>5. How can I increase the amount of time I can hold my breath?</h2><p>One way to increase the amount of time you can hold your breath is by practicing regularly and gradually increasing the duration. It is also important to relax and remain calm while holding your breath, as stress and tension can cause you to use up oxygen more quickly. Proper breathing techniques and physical fitness can also help improve your breath holding ability.</p>

1. How long can the average person hold their breath?

The average person can hold their breath for about 1-2 minutes. However, this can vary greatly depending on factors such as age, lung capacity, and physical fitness.

2. What is the world record for holding your breath?

The current world record for holding your breath is 24 minutes and 3 seconds, set by Aleix Segura Vendrell in 2016. However, this is an extremely dangerous and potentially fatal activity and should not be attempted without proper training and supervision.

3. Can holding your breath improve lung capacity?

Yes, regularly practicing holding your breath can improve lung capacity and overall respiratory function. This is because it forces your lungs to work harder and expand more, increasing their capacity over time.

4. Is it safe to hold your breath for a long time?

No, holding your breath for an extended period of time can be very dangerous and potentially fatal. It can lead to loss of consciousness, brain damage, and even death. It is important to always practice breath holding in a safe and controlled environment.

5. How can I increase the amount of time I can hold my breath?

One way to increase the amount of time you can hold your breath is by practicing regularly and gradually increasing the duration. It is also important to relax and remain calm while holding your breath, as stress and tension can cause you to use up oxygen more quickly. Proper breathing techniques and physical fitness can also help improve your breath holding ability.