Math Struggles: Geometric Series & Paying Off a $200 Balance

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of minimum monthly payments for credit cards and how it relates to geometric sequences. The initial balance, monthly payments, and remaining balance are all connected through a formula. The conversation also includes a request for advice on how to approach the problem.
Calixto
What the heck?

The minimum monthly payment for a credit card is the larger of $5 or 1/25 of the outstanding balance. If the balance is less than $5, then the entire balance is due. If you make only the minimum payment each month, how long will it take to pay off a balance of $200?

Clearly, this has to do with geometric series. I can conceptually understand this problem, but I'm having trouble putting it into mathematical terms while relating to geometric series. If you have any advice, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
First, when do you start making a minimum payment of $5? x/25= 5 when x= 125 so how many payments will be required to bring the balance down to $125? If your initial balance is S and you pay a fraction r of that each month, you first payment will be rS and the remaining balance S- rS= S(1-r). Your second payment will be r(1-r)S and the remaining balance then will be S(1-r)- r(1-r)S= (1-r)(S- rS)= (1-r)2S.

The remaining balance, after n payments, is the geometric sequence (1-r)nS. For what n is (1- 1/25)n(200)< 125? At that point the balance will be between 120 and 125 and will require 120/5= 22 payments of $5 each and a final payment of less than $5.

Calixto said:
What the heck?

oh … I have never seen such language!

Tush! And pish!
Clearly, this has to do with geometric series. I can conceptually understand this problem, but I'm having trouble putting it into mathematical terms while relating to geometric series. If you have any advice, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Hi Calixto! :smile:

Geometric sequence, actually.

General advice:

Be systematic.

Choose a name, like Pn, for the amount of money remaining after n months, and then find the formula connecting Pn and Pn-1. :smile:

Ok thanks HallsOfIvy, that helps a lot. And sorry tiny-tim for using such offensive language.

What is a geometric series?

A geometric series is a sequence of numbers where each term is obtained by multiplying the previous term by a constant value. The constant value is known as the common ratio, and it remains the same throughout the series.

What is the formula for finding the sum of a geometric series?

The formula for finding the sum of a geometric series is S = a / (1-r), where S is the sum, a is the first term, and r is the common ratio. This formula assumes that the series has an infinite number of terms. For a finite geometric series, the formula is S = (a * (1-r^n))/ (1-r), where n is the number of terms.

How can I use a geometric series to pay off a $200 balance?

To use a geometric series to pay off a $200 balance, you can set up a payment plan where each payment is a multiple of the previous payment, with the common ratio being the interest rate. For example, if the interest rate is 5%, your payments could be $50, $52.50, $55.13, and so on, until the balance is paid off.

What are some common struggles people face when dealing with geometric series?

Some common struggles people face when dealing with geometric series include understanding the concept of a common ratio, determining how many terms to include in the series, and applying the formula to real-life situations such as paying off debt or investing money.

Can geometric series be used in other areas of math or science?

Yes, geometric series have various applications in math and science, such as in finance, engineering, and physics. They can be used to model population growth, calculate compound interest, and analyze the behavior of electric circuits, among other things.