Designing a Vibration Absorber for a Two Degree of Freedom System

In summary, the equations of motion for the machine and the absorber together are c1x1’+m1x1”+k1x1+k2(x1-x2)+c2(x1’-x2’)=Fosinwt and m1x2”+k2(x1-x2)+c2(x2’-x1’)=0.
renta
I'm trying to design a vibration absorber that will reduce the vibration of a machine by about 60%. I found the equations of motion of the machine without the absorber to be..
c1x1’+m1x1”+k1x1+k2(x1-x2)+c2(x1’-x2’)=Fosinwt
and the absorber alone to be..
m1x2”+k2(x1-x2)+c2(x2’-x1’)=0

How do I do a two degree of freedom system (the machine and absorber together)? I have to calculate the natural frequencies and write the equations of motion in matirx form, and find the K and M matrices, form M^(-1)*K, and for designed k2 and c2, find the eigenvalues of M^(-1)*K. I really don't have much experience with this area, can someone please help me?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
please help me. I should also calculate k2 so that the natural frequency of the absorber is equal to the excitation frequency. I'm so confused with vibrations.

Is this right so far?

equations of motion….
c1x1’+m1x1”+k1x1+k2(x1-x2)+c2(x1’-x2’)=Fosinwt
m1x2”+k2(x1-x2)+c2(x2’-x1’)=0

matrix form…
[m1 0] [x1”] + [c1+c2 ...-c2][x1’] + [k1+k2...k1-k2][x1] =[Fosinwt]
[0 m2] [x2”]...[-c2 ...c2]*[x2’]...[k2...-k2][x2]...[ 0 ]
(sorry about the periods, but this board messes up my format in the matrix)

finding eigenvalues…
det[(M^-1)K-Ilambda]=0

[((k1+k2)/m1)-lambda k1-k2] =0
[k2/m2 (-k2/m2)-lambda]

how do I find k2 so that I can get my eigenvalues?

Last edited:
please help!

It's not clear what you have and what needs to be designed. Also, when you say 60% reduction in amplitude, you need to specify at what frequency. Any isolator will give you attenuation only at frequencies above the natural frequency - in this case there are 2 - and the transmissibility is a function of frequency.

Do you have a real machine and a real isolator, or is this just a theoretical problem ? What does the isolator consist of ?

My understanding so far is that you've got m1, m2, k1, c1, and you need to design k2, c2. But if you have an isolator, that fixes k2, c2 and m2. But you seem to have m2. Where does that come from ?

Or you probably don't have an isolator, and want to design one... I'm not sure.

Anyway, your matrix equations are correct so far. To get the 2 natural frequencies, solve :

det|[K] - [M]w^2| = 0

This gives you w1 and w2 in terms of m2, k2 and c2. For a good isolator design, you want w1 and w2 to be as small as possible - preferably small compared to the typical driving frequency w0. So you pick m2, k2 and c2 accordingly, ie. to minimize the w's.

Before I go on, I'd like you to answer the questions I've asked 'cause this may be completely along the wrong track.

Errata : I think you want det|[K] - [M]w^2 + iw[C]| = 0

Actually, I'm more confused than I let on. If you have just one mass (the machine - the isolator is relatively light) and one isolator, why are you doing 2 dof analysis ? What are m2, c2 and k2 ? I guess need to know what your system really is like.

What is a vibration absorber and how does it work?

A vibration absorber is a device or system designed to reduce or dampen the effects of vibration on a structure or machine. It typically consists of a mass connected to a spring and damper, which absorbs the energy of the vibrations and dissipates it as heat.

What are the benefits of using a vibration absorber?

The main benefit of using a vibration absorber is that it can reduce the level of vibrations and therefore decrease the stress and strain on the structure or machine, leading to improved performance and lifespan. It can also reduce noise levels and improve overall comfort and safety.

How do you design a vibration absorber?

Designing a vibration absorber involves considering the characteristics of the structure or machine, such as its natural frequency and vibration amplitude, as well as the type of vibration it is experiencing. The absorber's mass, spring stiffness, and damping coefficient must be carefully chosen to match the frequency and amplitude of the vibrations and effectively dissipate their energy.

What are some common types of vibration absorbers?

Some common types of vibration absorbers include tuned mass dampers, tuned liquid dampers, and tuned vibration absorbers. Each type works by utilizing the principle of resonance to cancel out the vibrations of the structure or machine.

How do you test and evaluate the effectiveness of a vibration absorber?

The effectiveness of a vibration absorber can be tested and evaluated by measuring the vibrations of the structure or machine with and without the absorber in place. This can be done using accelerometers or other vibration sensors. The data can then be analyzed to determine the reduction in vibration levels achieved by the absorber.