Where Does the Guard Come From?

• Thread starter dipinsingh
  • Start date
In summary, if the guard is from Hell, he always lies and if he's from Heaven, he always speaks truth. You need to ask him just one question to find out which door he belongs to. If he says "yes," then Heaven is on the left, and if he says "no," then Hell is the right.
dipinsingh
You found a guard right between Heaven and Hell ( you don't know which is which). He is from one of them and you don't know which of them he is from. If he is from Hell, he always lies and if he is from Heaven, he always speaks truth.
You got to find out heaven asking him only one question.

What would be your question?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not completely sure, I would try
"Is the door leading to the place you come from on the left ?"
  • If he comes from Heaven
    • if Heaven is on the left, he will say yes
    • if Heaven is on the right, he will say no
  • If he comes from Hell
So independently of whether he comes from Heaven or Hell, Heaven is on the right if and only if he says "yes".

humanino said:
  • If he comes from Hell
So independently of whether he comes from Heaven or Hell, Heaven is on the right if and only if he says "yes".

Your answer is correct.
just ask him ... which door u belong to...?

humanino said:

Shouldn't this mean that heaven is on the left only if he says "yes"?

I'D ask him can you say no. If he says no, he must be from hell.

LogicNoob said:
Shouldn't this mean that heaven is on the left only if he says "yes"?
You're right.

humanino said:
  • If he comes from Hell

I wonder if there is a way to generalize this logic to get truthful answers out of someone you are questioning (in real life) regardless of whether they are being honest or dishonest with you

Unfortunately I am terrible with these kinds of riddles, so I'm not sure...

Ask him whether he is a male or a female ..if he says female ..then you can confirm that he is from the hell and u may know the which is whcih ...if he's from heaven he would say "im a male" and subsequently u would know which is which... ;)

oh sorry..the condition you have given is to ask "one question"..i didnt noticed it

Just ask "would someone from your place say that this is the direction to heaven?"

Ask him "Where are you from"

If he's from Heaven, he's going to tell you the truth - points to Heaven
If he's from Hell, he's going to lie - points to Heaven

:)

1. Where does the term "guard" come from?

The term "guard" comes from the Old French word "garder," meaning "to protect." It has roots in Latin, where "guarda" means "watch, lookout." The word has been used in various forms throughout history to describe a person or group responsible for protecting something or someone.

2. How did the concept of a "guard" develop?

The concept of a "guard" can be traced back to ancient civilizations such as the Egyptians, Greeks, and Romans, who had designated soldiers or groups responsible for protecting their rulers, temples, and other important structures. Over time, the idea of a "guard" evolved to include protection for individuals, property, and communities.

3. When was the first organized guard established?

The first organized guard was established in ancient Rome around 500 BC, known as the "Praetorian Guard." They were elite soldiers responsible for protecting the Roman emperor and his family. The concept of organized guards spread to other civilizations, including the Ottoman Empire and China.

4. How has the role of a "guard" changed over time?

The role of a "guard" has evolved over time to adapt to the changing needs of society. In addition to physical protection, guards now often have responsibilities such as surveillance, emergency response, and customer service. The use of technology has also transformed the role of a guard, with the introduction of security cameras, alarms, and other advanced equipment.

5. What are the different types of guards?

There are various types of guards, including security guards, bodyguards, prison guards, and border guards. Each type has a specific role and responsibilities. For example, security guards may work in a variety of settings, such as shopping malls, banks, or government buildings, while bodyguards are responsible for protecting individuals, such as politicians or celebrities. Prison guards are responsible for maintaining security in correctional facilities, and border guards are responsible for protecting a country's borders from illegal entry.