Arsonade's Journey to Invent a PMM

• Thread starter Syed F. Karim
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around the idea of pursuing new and innovative ideas, particularly the invention of a PMM (perpetual motion machine). The speakers discuss the potential for groundbreaking discoveries and the importance of seeking help and advice from credible sources. They also touch on the fear of being wrong and the value of constructive criticism in the pursuit of new ideas. The conversation ends with a suggestion for the individual with the PMM idea to seek guidance from their physics professors and potentially turn it into an independent study project.
Syed F. Karim
That fella Arsonade really keeps me in grins. So he's trying to build a PMM--good for him. I don't see anything wrong with trying to do something that has never been done--how else would the really huge discoveries and leaps in progress be realized? Didn't everyone laugh at the Wrights? And what about all of Da Vinci's work that finally came into existence--took awhile, but it all did. The simple fact is that just because we don't know of something now does not mean that it will never be. Discovering something means that you know of something now that you did not previously. And anykind of earth-quaking idea such as the invention of a PMM would have to come from someone who doesn't know that such a thing simply can't be (education and training, in my opinion, put up all kinds of parameters to creativity), so at least the kid does have that on his side.

My only beef with the kid is that he just doesn't come off as very credible. Get some opinions for crying out loud! You're a student, not a professional, so why not accept the fact that your ability to analyze and critique is relatively limited? There is absolutely nothing wrong with asking for help. And I feel that I can comment on this subject because my situation is eerily similar to that of Mr. Arsonade.

I, also have an idea for a method of producing electricity in an unusually efficient manner. And for a long time I was absolutely paranoid of the possibility that someone might steal my Magnum Opus (or is that Magnum Jokus) But that way of thinking, I have come to realize, is just plain silly. People are simply not interested in stealing crackpot schemes--especially academics and other credentialed folks.

It took me a good while to get over my paranoia, but I finally did. And you know what I found out after I got over it? I found out that paranoia was not the root of my reluctance. The vast weight of the hesitance to disclose to others came from a fear of being wrong. Yeah, I had absolutely no desire to have some really sharp person with a whole bunch of letters after his name tell me very plainly and logically exactly why my contraption had not a snowball's chance in Hell of working.

But it's a good thing I got over that fear. I hired a professor to critique my work, and he found that I just might be on to something. I have also shown my idea to about 4 academics and engineers who all concur that, in theory, this just might work. And I even decided to go back to school to pursue this idea and will be working with one of the physics profs to validate my hypothesis. See, this is the way you are supposed to pursue hare-brained schemes; find some folks with a little credibility to endorse the proposition. It really is the only way--especially when R&D costs are an issue--to attack this type of problem.

And a suggestion to Mr. Arsonade: Why not try your Physics profs? And better yet, request that you turn this into an independent study project--that way you can borrow out the Wazoo because the validation of your idea then becomes an educational expense. This is a really convenient way to finding some answers; no need for investors, and you get gobs of free help and advice from your local Ivory Tower. Doesn't get any better than that.

Physics news on Phys.org
As long as you aren't claiming that your machine is actually a PMM!

1. What inspired you to create "Arsonade's Journey to Invent a PMM"?

I have always been fascinated by the process of invention and innovation. I wanted to create a story that not only highlights the journey of a scientist, but also sheds light on the importance of perseverance and determination in the face of challenges.

2. What is the significance of the title "Arsonade's Journey to Invent a PMM"?

The title of the story is a play on words, combining the name of the main character, Arsonade, with the acronym for "Perpetual Motion Machine" (PMM). This represents the main goal and focus of Arsonade's journey - to invent a PMM.

3. Is "Arsonade's Journey to Invent a PMM" based on a true story?

No, the story is entirely fictional. However, the scientific concepts and principles discussed in the story are based on real theories and ideas.

4. What lessons can readers take away from "Arsonade's Journey to Invent a PMM"?

The story teaches the importance of perseverance, resilience, and collaboration in the face of challenges. It also emphasizes the need for critical thinking and problem-solving skills in the field of science.

5. Can you explain the science behind a PMM?

A PMM is a theoretical machine that can generate perpetual motion, meaning it can continue moving without any external energy input. However, the laws of thermodynamics state that perpetual motion is impossible in a closed system. Therefore, a PMM is not currently feasible, but scientists continue to explore and research potential ways to achieve it.