My teacher told me he calls this a baseball question why?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem given by a teacher that involves a tourist being chased by a bear and running towards his car at a certain speed while the bear is running at a faster speed behind him. The teacher refers to this as a "baseball question" and the conversation explores possible reasons for this comparison, such as the concept of "rundown" in baseball where a player must reach a base before a thrown ball does. The maximum possible value for the distance between the tourist and his car is also mentioned.
Koskesh
My teacher told me he calls this a "baseball question"... why?!

Homework Statement

A tourist being chased by an angry bear is running in a straight line toward his car at a speed of 4.0 m/s. The car is distance d away. The bear is 26 m behind the tourist and running at 6.0 m/s. The tourist reaches the car safely. What is the maximum possible value for d?

This problem doesn't need to be solved but my teacher asked in class WHY he would call this a "baseball question"

It wasn't homework but I'm curious now... I have no idea? Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org

I am not sure, but... have you ever seen a baseball match?

Borek said:
I am not sure, but... have you ever seen a baseball match?

Certainly have. Not so sure how this bear chasing a man problem applies...

What if the bear has a ball in its mouth?

In baseball can't you throw a ball at a running player before he reaches a base?

Koskesh said:

Homework Statement

A tourist being chased by an angry bear is running in a straight line toward his car at a speed of 4.0 m/s. The car is distance d away. The bear is 26 m behind the tourist and running at 6.0 m/s. The tourist reaches the car safely. What is the maximum possible value for d?

This problem doesn't need to be solved but my teacher asked in class WHY he would call this a "baseball question"

It wasn't homework but I'm curious now... I have no idea? Any ideas?

This is all a bit American for me (UK) but isn't there a baseball team called the "Bears"?

Have you asked your teacher?

Me too but I thought the difference between rounders and baseball was that you could throw the ball at a player to get them out before they reached the base.
So speed of player, speed of ball and distance to base would come into it.

You can either tag a runner by catching him with the ball in his hand, or by throwing the ball to the base s/he is running to before the runner arrives.

So you could either say it's a baseball question if the player with the ball is much faster than you are (relatively unlikely IMO, even though that's probably what he means) or because it's a question of how far it's possible to run and still arrive before the ball does. If that distance is less than the distance from you to the next base, don't even think about it!

It's called a "rundown". Here's an example showing success for the runner.

Last edited by a moderator:

timmay said:
You can either tag a runner by catching him with the ball in his hand, or by throwing the ball to the base s/he is running to before the runner arrives.

So you could either say it's a baseball question if the player with the ball is much faster than you are (relatively unlikely IMO, even though that's probably what he means) or because it's a question of how far it's possible to run and still arrive before the ball does. If that distance is less than the distance from you to the next base, don't even think about it!

I think that's it. The runner is slower than the thrown ball, just as the tourist is slower than the bear. Reaching base safely is analogous to the tourist reaching the car safely before the bear gets there.

1. What is a baseball question?

A baseball question is a common term used to describe a question that is simple or easy to answer. It is often used in reference to trivia or general knowledge questions about the sport of baseball.

2. Why does my teacher call it a baseball question?

Your teacher may use the term "baseball question" as a way to describe a question that is straightforward and doesn't require much thought or analysis. This term may also be used to encourage students to participate and answer questions without feeling intimidated.

3. Is a baseball question always about baseball?

No, a baseball question does not necessarily have to be about the sport of baseball. It can be used to describe any question that is simple and easy to answer.

4. Are baseball questions important in science?

Not necessarily. While simple or easy questions can be helpful in building a foundation of knowledge in any subject, they may not always be the most important or significant questions in the field of science.

5. How can I use baseball questions in my studies?

You can use baseball questions as a way to review and reinforce your understanding of basic concepts in science. They can also be used as a starting point for more complex discussions or to test your knowledge in a fun and engaging way.