Sinking Can Boat: Debating the Rate of Water Flow

In summary, a conversation took place about a boat with a hole in the bottom floating in water. The question was raised about the speed of water running through the hole and whether it is constant or affected by the pressure. The conversation suggested that the pressure may decrease as more water enters the boat, and a suggestion was made to test this by calculating the pressure with a plug in place.
tosse
Assume you have a can (representing a boat) with a hole in the bottom floating in a tank filled with water. The "boat" will start to sink.

Now to my question..
My teacher told me that the speed of which water is runnig through the hole of the can is constant. But i can't seem to understand that, since (i think) the speed depends on the pressure which constantly increases as the boat is sinking - wouldn't that mean the speed increases aswell!??

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi tosse! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Couldn't you argue that the more water in the boat, the less is the difference in pressure?

Test it by calculating what the pressure is if you put a plug in (to keep the boat afloat) when the water inside the boat is height h above the bottom :wink:

Thank you for your question. I can understand your confusion about the relationship between water flow and pressure in this scenario.

Firstly, it is important to understand that the speed of water flow through the hole in the can is not constant, but rather it is determined by the pressure difference between the water inside the can and the surrounding water in the tank. As the boat sinks, the pressure inside the can increases, causing the water to flow out of the hole at a faster rate. This is because the higher pressure inside the can creates a greater force pushing the water out through the hole.

However, it is also important to consider the rate at which the water level in the tank is rising. As the boat sinks, the water level in the tank will increase, which means that the pressure at the bottom of the tank will also increase. This will create a back pressure on the water flowing out of the hole, slowing down the rate of flow.

So, although the pressure inside the can is increasing, the back pressure from the rising water level in the tank will counteract this and the overall rate of water flow will remain relatively constant. This is why your teacher may have said that the speed of water flow is constant.

I hope this explanation helps to clarify the relationship between water flow and pressure in this scenario. Keep asking questions and exploring scientific concepts – it's a great way to learn and understand the world around us.

1. How does the rate of water flow affect the sinking of a can boat?

The rate of water flow directly impacts the sinking of a can boat. The faster the water flows into the can boat, the quicker it will sink due to the increased pressure and weight of the water.

2. What factors determine the rate of water flow?

The rate of water flow is determined by several factors, including the size and shape of the opening in the can boat, the height of the water source, and the amount of water pressure.

3. Does the material of the can boat affect the rate of water flow?

Yes, the material of the can boat can impact the rate of water flow. A can boat made of a more porous material, such as paper, will allow water to flow through it faster than a can boat made of a less porous material, such as plastic or metal.

4. How can you measure the rate of water flow in a can boat experiment?

The rate of water flow can be measured by timing how long it takes for the can boat to sink or by measuring the amount of water that enters the can boat in a certain period of time. Another method is to use a flow meter to directly measure the rate of water flow.

5. Is the rate of water flow the only factor that affects the sinking of a can boat?

No, there are other factors that may also impact the sinking of a can boat, such as the weight and buoyancy of the can boat, the shape and design of the boat, and the accuracy of the water flow source. These factors should also be taken into consideration when conducting an experiment on the sinking of a can boat.