Vector question (true or false)

• Thread starter riverjib
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, there is confusion over the validity of the given question, which states that if A-B-C (vectors) and A^2+ B^2+ c^2 where X is the magnitude of X(vector) for X-A,B,C, then the vectors A and B are perpendicular to each other. The question may be poorly written and the answer is most likely false.
riverjib

Homework Statement

If A-B-C (vectors) and A^2+ B^2+ c^2 where X is the magnitude of X(vector) for X-A,B,C, then the vectors A and B are perpendicular to each other. (True or false?)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly, I never post anything unless I have it at least halfway solved. But I'm completely confused by this question. Can anyone help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
i didnt get the question...kindly phrase it again!

Ahhh...so it's not just me? Maybe there was a typo in this sheet, but that's how the question was phrased. I suppose they mean X is the magnitude of X(vector) for X-A, X-B, and X-C. The first expression (A-B-C) is in vector notation, but the second one (A^2 + B^2 + C^2) is not. I'm not sure if that clarifies anything. Maybe it's just a poorly written question?

riverjib said:
. Maybe it's just a poorly written question?

The question does not make sense to me either. However, perhaps this is deliberate and the answer is false? :smile:

1. Is a vector always true or always false?

A vector can be either true or false depending on the context in which it is being used. In mathematics, a vector represents a quantity with both magnitude and direction, and can be true or false depending on the values assigned to it.

2. Can a vector have a value of zero?

Yes, a vector can have a value of zero. A zero vector has a magnitude of zero and an undefined direction, making it different from other vectors with non-zero values.

3. Is a vector the same as a scalar?

No, a vector and a scalar are different mathematical concepts. A vector has both magnitude and direction, while a scalar only has magnitude. Vectors can also be added, subtracted, and multiplied by other vectors, while scalars can only be multiplied by other scalars.

4. Can a vector have negative values?

Yes, a vector can have negative values. In mathematics, a vector's direction can be represented by a positive or negative sign, indicating whether it is moving in a certain direction or in the opposite direction.

5. How is a vector represented in mathematics?

In mathematics, a vector is typically represented by an arrow pointing in a specific direction, with the length of the arrow representing the vector's magnitude. It can also be represented by a set of coordinates or by using mathematical notation, such as a = (x, y, z) where a is the vector and x, y, and z are its components along the x, y, and z axes, respectively.