Large Scale Structure of Spacetime Study Group

In summary, there is a discussion about a potential study group for Hawking and Ellis' book on classical general relativity, with a focus on singularities in higher dimensional spacetime and alternate ways of achieving them. It is suggested to ask in the Quantum Physics category for a better response. One user mentions a previous study group on Differential Forms.
clejan
Is anyone interested in going through Hawking and Ellis' book by the title above and posting questions and insights? My interest is in singularities in higher dimensional spacetime, and whether there are other ways to achieve singularities (and their zoology) besides large enough mass. I am interested in 4 dimensional hypersurfaces of signature change in 5 or higher dimensional spacetime, where the normal to the surface is not timelike.
Thanks,
-Iuval

Physics news on Phys.org
clejan said:
Is anyone interested in going through Hawking and Ellis' book by the title above and posting questions and insights? My interest is in singularities in higher dimensional spacetime, and whether there are other ways to achieve singularities (and their zoology) besides large enough mass. I am interested in 4 dimensional hypersurfaces of signature change in 5 or higher dimensional spacetime, where the normal to the surface is not timelike.
Thanks,
-Iuval

Ask again in Quantum Physics, you'll get a better response to Hawking there.

ryuunoseika said:
Ask again in Quantum Physics, you'll get a better response to Hawking there.

No, clejan should not ask again in Quantum Physics. As clejan knows, this book is about classical general relativity, and has nothing to do with quantum theory or Hawking radiation.

George is correct.
-IC

If I had the time, I would be willing to participate.
I think such a focused study group on an online forum would be interesting.

Here was one on Differential Forms https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=67268 a while back.
(I was too busy back then to participate... but I would read some entries every now and then.)

1. What is the Large Scale Structure of Spacetime Study Group?

The Large Scale Structure of Spacetime Study Group is a collaborative effort among scientists and researchers to study the overall structure and dynamics of the universe on a large scale. It focuses on understanding the distribution and evolution of matter and energy in the universe, and how it affects the formation and behavior of galaxies, clusters, and other large structures.

2. Why is studying the large scale structure of spacetime important?

Studying the large scale structure of spacetime is important because it helps us understand the fundamental laws of the universe and how it has evolved over time. It also provides insight into the physical processes that drive the formation of galaxies, clusters, and other structures, which can ultimately help us answer questions about the origin and fate of the universe.

3. What techniques and methods are used in this study group?

This study group uses a variety of techniques and methods, including observational data from telescopes and satellites, simulations and computer models, and theoretical frameworks such as general relativity. By combining these different approaches, scientists are able to gain a more comprehensive understanding of the large scale structure of spacetime.

4. What are some recent advancements in the study of large scale structure of spacetime?

Recent advancements in this field include the use of advanced telescopes and satellites that can observe the universe in different wavelengths of light, providing more detailed and accurate data. There have also been advancements in computer simulations, allowing for more realistic and complex models of the universe to be created.

5. How does the study of large scale structure of spacetime relate to other fields of science?

The study of large scale structure of spacetime is closely related to other fields of science, such as astrophysics, cosmology, and particle physics. It also has implications for our understanding of gravity, dark matter, and dark energy. Additionally, studying the large scale structure of spacetime can help us better understand the origins and evolution of the universe, which is a question that has long intrigued scientists from various disciplines.