Troubleshooting Wireless Network Issues: Tips and Tricks

In summary, Jonathan asked if there is a way to view a log of who has been using his wireless network through the router's configuration page, but couldn't find it. He also inquired about setting up a password through the configuration page since he couldn't find the installation CD for his router. Additionally, he wanted to know if there was something he could purchase to boost the signal from the router as his Internet connection was slow.
Chromium
1) Is there a way to view a log of who has been using my wireless network? I went to my router's configuration page, and there was a Log section under Administration tab, but I couldn't find a log.

2) I can't find the installation CD for my router, is it possible to set up a password for my network via the configuration page?

3) I recently set up a new desktop in my house, but the Internet is incredibly slow (AVG was downloading @ approx. 80 kb/s). Is there something I can purchase to boost the signal from the router?

Thanks,

--Jonathan

Computer science news on Phys.org
Chromium said:
1) Is there a way to view a log of who has been using my wireless network? I went to my router's configuration page, and there was a Log section under Administration tab, but I couldn't find a log.

2) I can't find the installation CD for my router, is it possible to set up a password for my network via the configuration page?

3) I recently set up a new desktop in my house, but the Internet is incredibly slow (AVG was downloading @ approx. 80 kb/s). Is there something I can purchase to boost the signal from the router?

Thanks,

--Jonathan

What router do you have?

1. What is a wireless network?

A wireless network is a type of computer network that allows devices to connect and communicate with each other without the use of physical cables. It uses radio waves or infrared signals to transmit data between devices.

2. How does a wireless network work?

A wireless network works by using a wireless router or access point to transmit data between devices. The router connects to the internet and creates a wireless signal that devices can connect to. The devices then use this signal to communicate with each other and access the internet.

3. What are the advantages of using a wireless network?

Some advantages of using a wireless network include increased mobility, as devices can connect to the network from anywhere within the signal range, and easier installation and maintenance, as there are no physical cables to set up and maintain. It also allows for more flexible and convenient internet access.

4. Are there any security concerns with wireless networks?

Yes, there are some security concerns with wireless networks. As the data is transmitted through radio waves, it can potentially be intercepted by unauthorized users. It is important to secure your wireless network with strong passwords and encryption to protect your data.

5. What are some factors that can affect the performance of a wireless network?

Some factors that can affect the performance of a wireless network include distance from the router, physical obstructions, interference from other electronic devices or networks, and signal strength. It is important to optimize these factors to ensure a strong and stable wireless network connection.