Windows 7 system requirements vs Vista's sys reqs.

In summary: Yes. At least as far as the window manager is concerned.All out-of-the-box workstation operating systems tend to have lots of security holes. Windows gets most of the blame primarily because it has the biggest market share.Heck, I have WIN 7 on an old P4 3.06 2G RAM - runs like a charm.
The_Absolute
I have a quad-core desktop computer with 6GBs of RAM, with windows Vista home premium (64 bit) it say's in windows task manager, in desktop, with no other programs running. That just the operating system itself and various other background tasks like virus scan, etc.. Takes up 15% of my processor usage, and over 1GB of RAM. That is quite a bit for an OS. The windows XP on my laptop uses less than 512 MB in most cases.

Is windows 7 going to take up more system resources than Vista? Would that effect performance while playing computationally demanding video games if I were to upgrade my version of windows?

Computer science news on Phys.org
The_Absolute said:
I have a quad-core desktop computer with 6GBs of RAM, with windows Vista home premium (64 bit) it say's in windows task manager, in desktop, with no other programs running. That just the operating system itself and various other background tasks like virus scan, etc.. Takes up 15% of my processor usage, and over 1GB of RAM. That is quite a bit for an OS. The windows XP on my laptop uses less than 512 MB in most cases.

Is windows 7 going to take up more system resources than Vista? Would that effect performance while playing computationally demanding video games if I were to upgrade my version of windows?

Windows 7 is more memory efficient than Vista.

DavidSnider said:
Windows 7 is more memory efficient than Vista.

What about CPU usage? Is windows 7 programmed to make better use of multi-core and multi-threaded processors? Is windows 7 full of internet security holes like vista was?

The_Absolute said:
What about CPU usage? Is windows 7 programmed to make better use of multi-core and multi-threaded processors? Is windows 7 full of internet security holes like vista was?

Yes. At least as far as the window manager is concerned.

All out-of-the-box workstation operating systems tend to have lots of security holes. Windows gets most of the blame primarily because it has the biggest market share.

Heck, I have WIN 7 on an old P4 3.06 2G RAM - runs like a charm.

I wouldn't worry if I were you.

What are the system requirements for Windows 7?

The minimum system requirements for Windows 7 are a 1 GHz processor, 1 GB of RAM, 16 GB of available hard disk space, and a DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM 1.0 or higher driver.

How do the system requirements for Windows 7 compare to those of Vista?

The system requirements for Windows 7 are similar to those of Vista, with the exception of processor speed. Windows 7 requires a 1 GHz processor, while Vista only required a 800 MHz processor.

Can I upgrade to Windows 7 from Vista without meeting the system requirements?

It is not recommended to upgrade to Windows 7 without meeting the minimum system requirements. Doing so may result in performance issues and compatibility problems.

What happens if my computer doesn't meet the minimum system requirements for Windows 7?

If your computer does not meet the minimum system requirements for Windows 7, you may experience slow performance, compatibility issues, and other technical problems. It is best to upgrade your hardware to meet the requirements before installing Windows 7.

Are there any additional system requirements for specific features or versions of Windows 7?

Yes, some features and versions of Windows 7 may have additional system requirements. For example, Windows 7 Professional and Ultimate require a 64-bit processor and at least 2 GB of RAM. It is important to check the system requirements for the specific feature or version of Windows 7 you are interested in.