Voltage drop calculation in 3 phase unbalance circuit

In summary: The lecturer recommends using a 2.7mV/m/A cable because it will be less impacted by an unbalanced load.
ben1000
Dear All,

I’m facing some problem when I try to determine the total voltage drop (%) from the source to the load.

Assume the condition as follow:

1. DB-A is serving 3 number of individual load (#1,#2 and #3) , each 100m away from DB-A, single phase, 5kw, pf=0.85, V=240V,by using individual cable 2Core, 16mm2 PVC/SWA/PVC copper cable (2.7mV/m/A).

2. The incoming power supply (415V, 3 phase) to serve DB-A is also 100m away, using 4Core, 16mm2 PVC/SWA/PVC copper cable (2.3mV/m/A).

For calculate total voltage drop from the source to the load #1. I’m using formula as follow:

Assume all three loads are on.
Total connected load under DB-A = 15kw = 15/0.85/0.7188= 26.085A

Load #1 = 5kw = 5/0.85/0.24 = 26.04A

VD (source to DB-A) = [(100m x 2.3mV/m/A x 26.085)/1000/415V] x 100%
= 1.45%

VD (DB-A to load #1) = [(100m x 2.7mV/m/A x 26.04)/1000/240V] x 100%
= 2.93%

VD total = 1.45% + 2.93 % = 4.38%

My question is how to determine the total voltage drop (%) at load #1 if the load #2 & #3 are off. Or let said load #2 and #3 is disconnected from DB-A
I’m confused which VD factor of cable and applied voltage should I applied when calculate VD (source to DB-A). 2.3mV/m/A or 2.7mV/m/A? 415V or 240V? The serving cable is 4 Core, but it just like using 4 Core as 2 Core by only serving load #1.

My second question is how about when there is unbalance load. Assume load # 1 now is 10kw, #2 and #3 are 5kw each. All single phase. How am I going to determine the V.D (%) from the source to DB-A? (Three load are on) should I assume it as balanced? If I do so, does it actually reflect the total V.D (%) suffer at load #1?

Thanks for your help

From
Kelvin

Engineering news on Phys.org

1. What is voltage drop in a 3 phase unbalance circuit?

Voltage drop refers to the decrease in voltage that occurs when electricity flows through a circuit due to the resistance of the materials used in the circuit. In a 3 phase unbalance circuit, the voltage drops unevenly across the three phases due to unequal distribution of loads.

2. Why is voltage drop calculation important in 3 phase unbalance circuits?

Voltage drop calculation is important in 3 phase unbalance circuits because it helps determine the amount of voltage that is lost in the circuit due to the unequal distribution of loads. This information is crucial for ensuring the proper functioning of the circuit and preventing equipment damage.

3. How is voltage drop calculated in a 3 phase unbalance circuit?

Voltage drop in a 3 phase unbalance circuit is calculated by first determining the total impedance of the circuit, which includes the resistance and reactance of each phase. Then, the voltage drop for each phase can be calculated using Ohm's law (V=IR) and the voltage drop for the entire circuit can be determined by adding up the individual phase voltage drops.

4. What factors can contribute to voltage drop in a 3 phase unbalance circuit?

There are several factors that can contribute to voltage drop in a 3 phase unbalance circuit, including unequal distribution of loads among the three phases, differences in wire size or length for each phase, and the presence of resistive or reactive elements in the circuit.

5. How can voltage drop in a 3 phase unbalance circuit be minimized?

To minimize voltage drop in a 3 phase unbalance circuit, it is important to balance the loads among the three phases as much as possible. This can be achieved by redistributing equipment or using balancing techniques such as adding capacitors or changing wire sizes. Regular maintenance and monitoring of the circuit can also help identify and address any potential issues that may contribute to voltage drop.