Quick question on explaining the law of conservation of momentum.

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about a space vehicle and its booster unit moving through space and being separated by an explosion. The question asks for the impulse exerted on the booster unit when the speed of the space vehicle is increased. The conversation also explores different methods to prove that the impulses on both the vehicle and booster unit are equal in magnitude and opposite in direction. The summary also mentions the use of Newton's third law and the conservation of momentum in a closed system to solve the problem.
Senjai
I have done the question already and attained the correct answer. However if it was a written question i do not know how i could prove the following.

A 7.3 x 10^3 kg space vehicle and its empty 6.8 x 10^2 booster unit are moving together through space at 370 m/s. An explosion lasting 2.2s is used to separate the two parts. If the speed of the space vehicle is increased to 430 m/s, what impulse acted on the booster unit?

I used the Impulse formula [tex] I_{space vehicle} = \Delta{p} [/tex]

And used the change of momentum of the space vehicle to determine the Impulse exerted on it. How would i prove that this impulse is the same in magnitude and opposite in direction as the impulse exerted on the booster unit?

Is their a way to do this question a different way? Did they give the time for no reason?

Regards, Senjai.

Physics news on Phys.org
The space vehicle, the booster unit together with the explosive constitute a closed system in the far space. Only forces of interaction act among them. According to Newton's third law, if a body "1" acts with force F12 on an other body "2" this other one acts with force F21=-F12 force on the first one.
The momentum is [itex]I=F\Delta t[/itex]. The sum of the forces of interaction is F12+F21=0, therefore [itex]I=F_{12}\Delta t+F_{21}\Delta t=0 \rightarrow I_1+I_2=0[/itex]

The change of momentum is equal to the impulse. When only two bodies are interacting [itex]\Delta p_1+\Delta p_2=0[/itex]

The sum of forces in a closed system is 0. So is the overall change of momentum.

The vehicle and booster are separated by an explosion, but we can assume that no momentum is wasted, or this waste (the momentum of escaping particles of the explosive) is negligible -we have only two interacting bodies.

ehild

Thank you so much :P Appreciate it :)

1. What is the law of conservation of momentum?

The law of conservation of momentum states that in a closed system, the total momentum remains constant over time. This means that the total amount of momentum before a collision or interaction is equal to the total amount of momentum after the collision or interaction.

2. Why is the law of conservation of momentum important?

The law of conservation of momentum is important because it is a fundamental law of physics that applies to all objects, regardless of their size, shape, or speed. It allows us to predict the outcome of collisions and interactions between objects and helps us understand the behavior of objects in motion.

3. How is the law of conservation of momentum calculated?

The law of conservation of momentum is calculated by adding up the momenta (mass x velocity) of all the objects in a system before a collision or interaction, and then comparing it to the sum of the momenta after the collision or interaction. If the two sums are equal, then the law of conservation of momentum is upheld.

4. Does the law of conservation of momentum apply to all types of collisions?

Yes, the law of conservation of momentum applies to all types of collisions, including elastic and inelastic collisions. In an elastic collision, the objects bounce off each other and retain their initial velocities, while in an inelastic collision, the objects stick together and move with a common velocity. In both cases, the total momentum before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision.

5. Can the law of conservation of momentum be violated?

No, the law of conservation of momentum is a fundamental law of physics and cannot be violated. However, it may appear to be violated in some situations due to external forces acting on the system, such as friction or air resistance. In a closed system with no external forces, the law of conservation of momentum will always hold true.