Hydrogen Sulfide and Hydrosulfuric Acid

In summary: Both Hydrogen Sulfide (g) and Hydrosulfuric Acid (aq) are acids, as they will release hydrogen ions when dissolved in water.
chuckset
In our chemistry class, we learned that an acid is a molecular compound that release hydrogen ions when they are dissolved in water through a process called ionization. So are both Hydrogen Sulfide (g) and Hydrosulfuric Acid (aq) acids?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
If you ask me - that's a nitpicky question that doesn't have a definitive answer.

Definition is not clear, as it doesn't specify how to treat potential acid - substance that WILL release H+ WHEN put in water, but it is not yet in water. You can argue that it is an acid (it will when) and that it is not an acid (it is not in water and it is not releasing H+). So it is semantics.

Could be my English fails me. Second opinion won't hurt.

--

They are the same substance...

It's just that H2S is called Hydrosulfuric Acid when aqueous solution, and Hydrogen Sulfide otherwise.

Its the same concept as Hydrogen Chloride gas. It could be an acid if it was aqueous.

my friend please confirm from teacher that if H2S reacts with a base it forms a salt and water or not

Yes, it does.

Specifically, for a base Ca(OH)n, where Ca is any cation, the reaction proceeds as follows:

n H2S + 2 Ca(OH)n --> 2n H2O + Ca2Sn

I believe. So for NaOH it would be...

2 NaOH + H2S --> 2 H2O + Na2S

Last edited:
Ca is a poor idea for any cation symbol, Me is much better.

Formatting in your second equation went awry.

Me looks like methyl; M is generally used

Fixed the format, and yeah, I should have done M.

Cesium said:
Me looks like methyl; M is generally used

Must be a matter of local convention, I am more than sure that I have books with Me in this room. But no doubts that you are right about possible confusion.

--
methods

1. What is the chemical formula for Hydrogen Sulfide and Hydrosulfuric Acid?

The chemical formula for Hydrogen Sulfide is H2S and the chemical formula for Hydrosulfuric Acid is H2SO4.

2. What are the properties of Hydrogen Sulfide and Hydrosulfuric Acid?

Hydrogen Sulfide is a colorless gas with a strong odor similar to rotten eggs. It is highly flammable and toxic to humans. Hydrosulfuric Acid is a colorless liquid with a strong, pungent odor. It is corrosive and can cause severe burns upon contact with skin.

3. How is Hydrogen Sulfide and Hydrosulfuric Acid formed?

Hydrogen Sulfide is formed naturally through the breakdown of organic matter, such as in swamps and sewers. It can also be formed through industrial processes, such as oil and gas production. Hydrosulfuric Acid is formed through the oxidation of Hydrogen Sulfide in the presence of water.

4. What are the uses of Hydrogen Sulfide and Hydrosulfuric Acid?

Hydrogen Sulfide is used in various industries, such as in the production of sulfuric acid and in the manufacturing of chemicals. It is also used in the production of food and beverages. Hydrosulfuric Acid is used in the production of fertilizers, dyes, and pharmaceuticals.

5. What are the potential health hazards of exposure to Hydrogen Sulfide and Hydrosulfuric Acid?

Exposure to Hydrogen Sulfide can cause respiratory irritation, headaches, and nausea. In high concentrations, it can lead to loss of consciousness and even death. Exposure to Hydrosulfuric Acid can cause severe burns, eye damage, and respiratory issues. Long-term exposure has been linked to respiratory and digestive issues.