Is There an Exact Solution to (2t+1)e^{-2t}=5?

• Thread starter flash
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the lack of an exact solution for the equation (2t+1)e^{-2t}=5 and suggests using the Lambert W-function to find a closed form solution. The conversation also mentions a method of manipulating the equation to get it into Lambert W-form.
flash
Hi,

I'm wondering if there is an exact solution to:

[tex](2t+1)e^{-2t}=5[/tex]

I've tried and have been unable to solve this for t. I can get an approximate numerical answer using the calculator but that's it.

Cheers

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no exact solution in terms of elementary functions. You can however find a close formed solution by using the Lambert W-function.

flash said:
Hi,

I'm wondering if there is an exact solution to:

[tex](2t+1)e^{-2t}=5[/tex]

I've tried and have been unable to solve this for t. I can get an approximate numerical answer using the calculator but that's it.

Cheers

How about if I start it for you and see if you can finish it. You want to get it into a form:

[itex]f(t)e^{f(t)}=k[/itex]

so that you can then take the Lambert-W of both sides and write:

[itex]f(t)=W(k)[/itex]

how about then I just multiply by -1:

[itex]-(2t+1)e^{-2t}=-5[/itex]

see how I'm starting to build the exponent to look like it's coefficient. What else then would I have to do to get it into Lambert-W form?

Thanks for the help guys, I've got it now :)

1. Can every equation be solved?

Not every equation can be solved. Some equations, like x^2 = -1, have no real solutions. Other equations, like 1/x = 0, have no solutions at all.

2. What makes an equation unsolvable?

An equation can be unsolvable if it violates mathematical rules, such as dividing by zero or taking the square root of a negative number. It can also be unsolvable if there are no real solutions, like in the case of x^2 = -1.

3. How do I know if an equation can be solved?

One way to determine if an equation can be solved is by checking if it follows mathematical rules and if it has any solutions at all. Another way is to try solving the equation using algebraic methods or a graphing calculator.

4. Can I always find a solution to an equation?

No, not every equation has a solution. Some equations have infinitely many solutions, while others have no solutions at all. It depends on the mathematical rules and properties involved in the equation.

5. What should I do if I can't solve an equation?

If you are unable to solve an equation, you can try using different methods or seeking help from a teacher or tutor. It's also important to check if the equation is unsolvable or if you made a mistake in your calculations.