Why does Chlorine gas need to be in a solution with its ions in Galvanic Cells?

• Thread starter Procrastinate
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cells Gas
In summary: Actually this is a little bit more complicated. If you look at tables of standard potentials, water should decompose first, so you should observe bubbles of oxygen. However, dfference between oxidation potentials is not that large, and oxygen evolution is notoriously slow, that means to speed up the reaction we need to apply higher potential than the one calculated from the standard potential and Nernst equation - this is called "overpotential". Standard (or formal) potential plus overpotential means we get into the area where chlorine gets oxidized - and chlorine evolves much easier. Net effect is that whenever you electrolyze brines instead of getting just oxygen you will get it mixed with chlorine.
Procrastinate
When I was reading back over my book to re-write my notes, I saw the words, "The Cl2 is the electrode (cathode). It must be in a solution with its ions i.e Cl- has KCL."

My question is, why does the Chlorine gas have to be in a solution with its ions? If anyone could answer this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure if "must" is the best wording.

What is the electrode reaction?

Borek said:
I am not sure if "must" is the best wording.

What is the electrode reaction?

It was between Iron and Chloride gas (Platinum was the electrode.) The iron electrode was in iron nitrate solution and the Chloride gas/ platinum was in Potassium Chloride.

i.e

Fe | Fe2+ || Cl2 | Cl-, Pt

Even if at the beginning there are no chlorides, but just chlorine - what happens when the reaction starts?

--

It produces chloride gas? Would it be aqueous since it would be dissolved in a solution?

No such thing as chloride gas. There is such a thing as chlorine gas - and that was present from the very beginning, wasn't it?

Yes, so the chlorine gas reduces to form chloride.

And now you have both chlorine and chlorides...

Not that it means you need something that will reduce the chlorine. Without a reducing agent there should be just gaseous chlorine - although it is not as simple, as chlorine reacts with water, producing some amounts of hydrochloric and hypochlorous acid. So chlorides will be present always, but not because they "must" be present to allow reaction, rather they "will" be present as a product.

--

Ok thankyou.

However, while I am still on the topic of chlorine; if it is in an aqueous solution (in a compound), it will never reduce in electrolysis since it is too dilute. That's what my notes say, and I just wanted to verify whether that is correct.

The other exceptions to electrolysis are also that Group 1 ions can never oxidise as they are too stable and neither can polyatomic ions.

Procrastinate said:
However, while I am still on the topic of chlorine; if it is in an aqueous solution (in a compound), it will never reduce in electrolysis since it is too dilute. That's what my notes say, and I just wanted to verify whether that is correct.

Please elaborate, not sure what you mean. Chlorine in compounds is usually alreay reduced, and no idea why it is "diluted".

The other exceptions to electrolysis are also that Group 1 ions can never oxidise as they are too stable and neither can polyatomic ions.

Correct.

Well, almost correct. That works OK as a first approximation. Counter examples do exist, but they are rare and they usually require rather exotic conditions.

--
methods

Borek said:
Please elaborate, not sure what you mean. Chlorine in compounds is usually alreay reduced, and no idea why it is "diluted".

Ok, I shall explain in more detail:

Say, NaCl (aq) was being electrolysed. I am just going to focus on the Cl here. The Cl ion will not oxidise (apologies as I accidentally said reduced before) as it is not concentrated (?) enough so the water is oxidised instead forming an acidic aqueous solution and oxygen gas.

Quite the opposite. If you will electrolyse solution of NaCl you will observe Cl2 evolving.

Actually this is a little bit more complicated. If you look at tables of standard potentials, water should decompose first, so you should observe bubbles of oxygen. However, dfference between oxidation potentials is not that large, and oxygen evolution is notoriously slow, that means to speed up the reaction we need to apply higher potential than the one calculated from the standard potential and Nernst equation - this is called "overpotential". Standard (or formal) potential plus overpotential means we get into the area where chlorine gets oxidized - and chlorine evolves much easier. Net effect is that whenever you electrolyze brines instead of getting just oxygen you will get it mixed with chlorine.

--
methods

1. What is a Galvanic Cell?

A Galvanic cell is an electrochemical cell that converts chemical energy into electrical energy through a redox reaction. It consists of two half-cells, connected by a conducting material, and an electrolyte solution that allows the flow of ions between the two half-cells.

2. How does a Galvanic Cell produce electricity?

A Galvanic cell produces electricity through a redox reaction, where one half-cell undergoes oxidation and releases electrons, while the other half-cell undergoes reduction and accepts electrons. The flow of electrons through the conducting material creates an electrical current.

3. What is Cl2 gas?

Cl2 gas is a diatomic molecule made up of two chlorine atoms bonded together. It is a highly reactive gas and is often used in industrial processes, such as water purification and bleaching, as well as in the production of various chemicals.

4. How is Cl2 gas produced in a Galvanic Cell?

Cl2 gas can be produced in a Galvanic cell by using a reaction between a chlorine-containing compound, such as NaCl, and an oxidizing agent, such as MnO2. When the oxidizing agent is reduced, it releases electrons that are used to oxidize the chlorine-containing compound, producing Cl2 gas.

5. What are some applications of Galvanic Cells and Cl2 gas?

Galvanic cells and Cl2 gas have many applications, including water purification, bleaching, and production of chemicals such as PVC and bleach. They are also used in batteries, fuel cells, and other electronic devices to generate electricity. In addition, Galvanic cells are commonly used in laboratory experiments to study redox reactions and electrochemistry.