Learn Quadric Surfaces Basics for 3D Structures

• Thread starter tirwit
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Surfaces
In summary, the conversation revolves around a request for guidance on working with quadric surfaces to draw 3D structures in code. The individual has already searched online and in textbooks but has not found sufficient information. They are looking for more extensive resources and have found a PDF that may be helpful. The conversation also includes a clarification on whether or not this is a homework question.
tirwit
Hi!

I need to know how to work with quadric surfaces to draw a 3D structures in a code. However I have no idea how to do this. I can't find any place in the internet where they explain quadric surfaces for newbies... Can someone point me in the right direction, please?

I didn't post this on the homework section because it is not homework (like: no data given, no question, etc), if I'm wrong and this is a homework question, just say it, I'll post it there instead.

Best regards
Tirwit

Physics news on Phys.org
I wanted something more extensive, if you know what I mean :) Wikipedia and Wolfram were the first places I went. As for books I found a reference to it in Riley's "Mathematical Methods for Physics and Engineering" but it was nothing special.

Can you be a little more clear on what you're looking for? I did a search using "quadric surface" and go lots of hits. This would be a section in many calculus texts and a few precalculus texts.

What are quadric surfaces?

Quadric surfaces are three-dimensional structures that can be described by second-degree polynomial equations. They include shapes such as spheres, cones, and cylinders.

Why is it important to learn about quadric surfaces?

Understanding quadric surfaces is crucial for fields such as engineering, architecture, and computer graphics. It allows for the creation and manipulation of complex 3D structures, which are used in many real-world applications.

How do you identify a quadric surface?

A quadric surface can be identified by its general equation, which takes the form Ax^2 + By^2 + Cz^2 + Dxy + Exz + Fyz + Gx + Hy + Iz + J = 0. The coefficients A-J determine the specific type of quadric surface.

What are the different types of quadric surfaces?

The main types of quadric surfaces are spheres, cones, cylinders, paraboloids, and hyperboloids. Each type has its own unique equation and characteristics, such as the shape and orientation of the surface.

What are some real-life examples of quadric surfaces?

Quadric surfaces can be seen in many objects and structures in our daily lives. Spheres can be found in sports equipment and spherical buildings, cones can be seen in traffic cones and ice cream cones, and cylinders are used in pipes and cans. Other examples include satellite dishes (paraboloids) and cooling towers (hyperboloids).