Gravity at different locations on earth (poles and equator)

In summary, the gravitational field strength is greater at the pole than at the equator. The difference is due to the rotation of the Earth.
jb646

Homework Statement

Determine how much greater the gravitational field strength, g, is at the pole than at the equator. Assume a spherical Earth. If the actual measured difference is Δg = 52 mm/s2, explain the difference.

Homework Equations

g=G*m1*m2/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem I'm having is understanding the problem. If we assume a spherical earth, then the radius would be the same everywhere and in turn so would g. I have looked up the actual gravitational difference and it is roughly 50 mm/s^2, so am I supposed to just say that it would be no greater and the difference of 50 mm can be attributed to the fact that the Earth is indeed not spherical, or is there a concept I am not understanding...

Thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree that the problem is worded incorrectly. The only way to make sense of the difference is to assume that the distance from the center of mass is different at the pole and equator.

The Earth is rotating.

So how does that affect my equations knowing that the Earth is rotating... I'm really lost on what to do here

I solved it using the equation for centripetal acceleration a=v^2/r where v=2Pi*r/T
and got an acceleration of roughly 34 mm/s^2. he states that 52 is the actual amount so am i correct in assuming that I have done everything correct up to this point and the difference is due to the fact that the Earth is actually not spherical?

Because of the Earth's rotation, mass elements away from the poles have an angular momentum that increases as you approach the equator. Because of this angular momentum, they have more energy than the elements at the pole and they "orbit" the center of mass at a larger radius. The net effect is that the Earth is oblate rather than perfectly spherical and bulges at the equator.

It's an explanation of why the radius at the equator is larger, it's not directly a part of your problem.

jb646 said:
I solved it using the equation for centripetal acceleration a=v^2/r where v=2Pi*r/T
and got an acceleration of roughly 34 mm/s^2. he states that 52 is the actual amount so am i correct in assuming that I have done everything correct up to this point and the difference is due to the fact that the Earth is actually not spherical?
Yes. That is correct, including your value of 34 mm/s2.

This term is in a sense better attributed to centrifugal acceleration. We Earth-bound folk are non-inertial observers. The Earth is a rotating frame of reference, so fictitious accelerations such as centrifugal acceleration and the Coriolis acceleration rear their ugly heads.

Thanks guys! now here's a tricky one, how do I mark this thread as solved?

1. How does gravity differ between the North and South poles?

The strength of gravity at the North and South poles is nearly identical. However, due to the Earth's rotation, objects at the North Pole experience a slightly higher gravitational pull towards the center of the Earth than objects at the South Pole.

2. Is gravity stronger at the equator?

No, gravity at the equator is actually slightly weaker than at the poles. This is because the Earth's rotation causes a slight bulge at the equator, which results in a slightly farther distance from the center of the Earth and a slightly weaker gravitational pull.

3. How does gravity affect weight on the equator compared to the poles?

Due to the difference in gravitational strength, a person's weight would be slightly less at the equator compared to the poles. However, this difference is extremely small and would not be noticeable to the average person.

4. Why does gravity vary at different locations on Earth?

The strength of gravity is dependent on the distance from the center of the Earth. Since the Earth is not perfectly spherical and is constantly rotating, the distance from the center varies at different locations, resulting in a slight variation in gravitational pull.

5. How does gravity at different locations on Earth affect time?

Einstein's theory of relativity states that the strength of gravity can affect the passage of time. This means that time would pass slightly faster at the poles compared to the equator due to the difference in gravitational pull.