Preparing for a Master's in Math; prereqs, financial advice

• Thread starter srfriggen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Master's
In summary, it is recommended that you take the Bridge to Advanced Math course and additional courses in Abstract Algebra, Topology, Real Analysis, and Complex Analysis. Working while attending grad school is possible, but may require a reduced course load and financial aid.
srfriggen
Hello all,

Background: I have a BA in Economics from Villanova University, class of '04. I took a theory-based path so I didn't take many math classes (calc I and a couple of statistics courses).

I've been preparing for acceptance into a Master's program in math based on the advice of several heads of several math departments, as well as graduate advisors.

Bottom line... for consideration I needed to complete at least 4 courses; calc I (differential calc), calc II (integral), calc III (multivariable), and linear algebra.

I am finishing up multivariable and linear algebra in a couple weeks, which I am confident I will receive A's in, and I have received A's in calc I and calc II.

One program I have looked into that seems promising is the program at City College of the City University of New York (CUNY). They would accept me to their master's program based on the four classes I have completed. I would have a 1 year period where I would have to take 1 full year of advanced calculus (theory based), and any other undergraduate courses I feel I may need before I can start gaining credit toward my MA.

One question I have is, what are some other courses one would recommend I take, regardless of which direction I take in math? (I will most likely focus on a path in applied math and some mathematical physics courses, but wish to have exposure to pure math as well).

There is a class "Bridge to Advanced Math" that I am thinking of taking. Listed below is the description...

"This course explores the logical and foundational structures of mathematics, with an emphasis on understanding and writing proofs. Topics include set theory, logic, mathematical induction, relations and orders, functions, Cantor's theory of countability, and development of the real number system. "

To me that seems like a "must take" class, as I have almost no experience writing proofs (I do understand them alright).

Any other "must have" classes before I apply for the MA (or to take during the 1 year conditional period?).

Also, I right now work a full time job, and it would be difficult to give up the income I am making now to go back to school full time. Of course loans are an option. What are some thoughts about working while going for an MA in math? One of my professors, a young man with a phd from carnegie mellon, advised me that he could not imagine working and going to grad school for math at the same time. he told me he was doing 40-50 hours of math per week while in grad school.

Thoughts about going to school part time while keeping my job? Although ultimately I would like to leave this job to pursue something math-related. This isn't just a hobby. Perhaps some people with experience in my situation can give me some advice?

Thank you for reading.

Physics news on Phys.org
Any advice is appreciated.The Bridge to Advanced Math course is definitely a good idea for you. It will give you some exposure to the theoretical foundations of mathematics, and will help you understand and write proofs. In addition, I recommend taking courses in Abstract Algebra, Topology, Real Analysis, and Complex Analysis. These courses will give you a more comprehensive understanding of mathematics, and will be useful if you decide to pursue a career in applied mathematics or mathematical physics. As for working while attending grad school, it is certainly possible to do so, but it will require a lot of discipline and dedication. I would suggest taking only one or two courses a semester to ensure that you have enough time to study and complete your assignments. You may also want to consider taking advantage of financial aid opportunities such as fellowships and grants to supplement your income. Good luck with your studies!

1. What are the typical prerequisite courses for a Master's in Math?

The specific prerequisites for a Master's in Math may vary depending on the program and university. However, most programs will require a strong foundation in undergraduate math courses such as calculus, linear algebra, and mathematical analysis. Some programs may also require courses in statistics, discrete mathematics, and abstract algebra.

2. Is it possible to pursue a Master's in Math without a Bachelor's degree in Math?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a Master's in Math with a Bachelor's degree in a related field such as physics, engineering, or computer science. However, you may need to take additional prerequisite courses to ensure you have the necessary background in mathematics.

3. What is the typical length of a Master's program in Math?

The length of a Master's program in Math can vary depending on the university and whether you are pursuing a full-time or part-time program. On average, a Master's in Math program can take 1-2 years to complete.

4. What financial advice do you have for someone considering a Master's in Math?

It is important to research and compare the cost of different Master's in Math programs before making a decision. Many universities offer financial aid, scholarships, and assistantships to help offset the cost of graduate school. It is also a good idea to create a budget and explore part-time job opportunities to help with expenses.

5. Can I pursue a Master's in Math if I am interested in a career outside of academia?

Yes, a Master's in Math can lead to a variety of career opportunities outside of academia. Many industries, such as finance, data analysis, and technology, value individuals with strong mathematical skills. Additionally, a Master's in Math can also prepare you for further graduate studies in fields such as economics, computer science, and engineering.