Set Theory| Proof if A subset B then f(A) subset f(B)

In summary: The proof seems valid to me.In summary, the proof shows that if x is in f(A) union f(B), x is in f(A union B).
Berrius

Homework Statement

f: X -> Y is a map from X to Y. And A, B subset X are random subsets of X. Proof the following:
a) if A subset B then f(A) subset f(B)

The Attempt at a Solution

(1)Take an arbitrary element x in f(A).
(2)For every x there has to be a y in A so that f(y)=x
(3)From A subset B: for every y in A, y in B
(4)So for every x in f(A) there has to be a y in f(B)
(5)So f(A) subset f(B)

I'm terrible at this, I came up with this proof but I'm wondering if my reasoning from step 3 to 4 is correct. Can someone help me?
Thanx in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks pretty good, except for what seems like a typo/misunderstanding in step 4. You have that there has to be a y in f(B), but y is in A and B, not f(B).

Also, the quantifiers in your proof are a little confusing. For instance, you've already said that x is an arbitrary element in f(A) in step 1, but then in step 2 you say "For every x...". You don't need to do that; since x is arbitrary, if you prove something about x then you prove it about every x as a consequence.

I think you have the right idea, try to think it through a little more. The way step 4 is currently written, it does not follow from step 3 nor does it imply step 5, and moreover it is false. Again, I think this is just a typo though.

(1)Take an arbitrary element x in f(A).
(2)For this x there has to be a y in A so that f(y)=x
(3)From A subset B: for every y in A, y in B: so (this) y in A and in B
(4)So for x in f(A), x is also in f(B)
(5)So f(A) subset f(B)

Is this better? I'm still not sure if (4) follows from (3). If it is correct though, can you tell me how I can see that clearly?

Yes that's better. To be more explicit, and maybe convince yourself further of the proof, you could insert a step or two between 3 and 4, such as

(3.4) y is in B, so f(y) is in f(B)
(3.6) Since f(y)=x, x is in f(B)

Hence what we have shown in steps 1 to 3.6 is that if x is in f(A), x is in f(B).

Any further modifications are really just style though.

Last edited:
Another one to check if I'm getting it right now:

f: X -> Y is a map from X to Y. And A, B subset X are random subsets of X. Proof the following:
a) f(A union B) = f(A) union f(B)

The Attempt at a Solution

(1)Take an arbitrary element x in f(A union B).
(2)For this x there has to be a y in (A union B) so that f(y)=x
(3)y in (A union B) so y in A or y in B
(4)y in A so f(y) in f(A) and since f(y)=x: x in f(A)
(5)y in B so f(y) in f(B) and since f(y)=x: x in f(B)
(6)So x in f(A) or in f(B)
(7)So f(A union B) => f(A) union f(B)

(8)Take an arbitrary element x in f(A) union f(B).
(9)So x in f(A) or in f(B)
(10)There has to be a y in A or in B so that f(y)=x
(11)So y in (A union B)
(12)So x in f(A union B)
(13)So f(A) union f(B) => f(A union B)

(14)So f(A union B) = f(A) union f(B)

Looks good, just a few comments. The notation => normally means implies, which doesn't make sense in the context of sets. I assume that you mean subset, and that you have written proper notation for it.

Also, in steps 4 and 5, you may want to more explicitly indicate that you are splitting into cases.

Everything else looks good.

1. What is set theory?

Set theory is a branch of mathematics that studies sets, which are collections of objects. It provides a formal framework for understanding how different sets relate to each other and how they can be manipulated using various operations.

2. What does it mean when A is a subset of B?

If A is a subset of B, it means that every element in A is also an element of B. In other words, all the objects in set A are also present in set B.

3. What is the proof for A subset B then f(A) subset f(B)?

The proof for this statement is known as the "function image theorem". It states that if A is a subset of B and f is a function, then the image of A under f (f(A)) is a subset of the image of B under f (f(B)). This can be proved using the definitions of subsets and function images.

4. Can you provide an example to illustrate this statement?

Sure, let's say A = {1, 2, 3} and B = {1, 2, 3, 4, 5}. If f(x) = x^2, then f(A) = {1, 4, 9} and f(B) = {1, 4, 9, 16, 25}. Since A is a subset of B, f(A) is also a subset of f(B).

5. How is this statement useful in mathematics?

This statement is useful in mathematics because it helps us understand the behavior of functions on sets. It allows us to make conclusions about the images of sets under a given function, which can be used to solve problems in areas such as calculus, algebra, and discrete mathematics.